Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Never mind

I was at Fry's the other day and noticed that the checker scanning my groceries had a nametag that said "Nazib." I thought maybe the name was Arabic, but you never know around here - there are some pretty crazy Spanish names, too. So I asked him.

"Where did you get your name?"

He kind of cringed and said, "Well, it's a long story. It's my dad's name."

"Oh really? Where is it from?"

"Um...Syria."

"Wow, I used to live in Damascus!"

But before I could say anything else, he said:

"That's in Jordan, right?"

And with that, he answered all the questions I was just about to ask.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Oh dear, that is truly dreadful. I wonder why the father felt it worthwhile to pass down his Syrian name, but not any cultural background...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails