Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Here comes the sun! Oh no!

You know, for living in Tucson, little Miriam Damascus sure does hate the sun a lot. She cannot stand to have the sun in her eyes for even one instant. I think I know where it all began:



The occasion was her blessing (christening, you might call it). We had her all decked out in her blessing dress and decided to go outside to take some pictures. It was November 13, 2005, a beautifully mild, sunny day. But this is the face she made as soon as we got outside. To me, this expression is saying, "All right, who is the IDIOT who decided to have me face the sun??? I will never get over this as long as I live!"

And she hasn't. We really need to get some of those suction-cup pull-down shades for our car windows because if the sun passes in her line of vision for even a moment, she loses it for the rest of the car ride. It's ridiculous. She could be in a perfectly good mood, happily playing, and then I make a left turn and the glare of the sun passes across her face briefly. That's it. She is an angry crying toddler for the rest of the car ride.

It's even worse in the jogging stroller because she can't decide what she wants. If I pull down the sun canopy so the sun isn't in her eyes, she fusses because I've blocked out her view. If I put it up, she's upset because the sun is shining in her face. Sigh. Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

sarah said...

Bridget - check out this website: http://www.babysunprotection.com/ There are baby sunglasses! I don't know that Miriam would wear them though.. I especially like the ballerina swim suit. :)

Anonymous said...

and you can enter her in the cutie contest!

Slade's Trip to Jordan said...

I think it is the curse of blue eyes. Ezra hates the sun as well...although that hasn't kept him from pulling all the suction sun protectors off of the side windows in the car. Weirdo!

Matthew said...

Is she too young for sunglasses? Stella loves hers...

Bridget said...

It's not that she's too young for sunglasses. But Miriam has an intense hatred of anything being on her face or head. To put any kind of barrette or headband in her hair, I have to create and sustain a major diversion. Maybe someday soon she'll relax a little bit and we can use sunglasses (my recollection is that Stella is a few months older...).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails