Saturday, January 20, 2007

Basically, they're full of crap. Rhymes with "snap."

So I took this "What American Accent Do You Have?" quiz and here are the results they gave me:
What American accent do you have?
Your Result: Boston
 

You definitely have a Boston accent, even if you think you don't. Of course, that doesn't mean you are from the Boston area, you may also be from New Hampshire or Maine.

The West
 
The Midland
 
North Central
 
Philadelphia
 
The Northeast
 
The Inland North
 
The South
 
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

I don't know why they would come up with Boston, when I was raised in Oregon. However, "The West" is a pretty broad category, so maybe I didn't have enough characteristics of a Utah or Idaho accent to fit into it. (For example, I believe that "pin" and "pen" are not homophones, I don't add a 't' at the end of the word "across," and the word "mountain" does not involve a glottal stop.) Also, the test is very simplistic (of course).

Back in my undergrad days, studying linguistics, I remember looking at a map that had very detailed representations of American dialects, right down to pinpoints on the map showing specific pronunciation distributions. I remember feeling overjoyed that someone else out there in the Pacific Northwest pronounces "crayon" the same as "crown."

Also, no matter what Jeremy tells you, "coupon" is correctly pronounced "kyu-pon."

And my sixth-grade teacher was definitely right when she said that the Pacific Northwest actually has the pure American dialect that all newscasters around the nation study, so they can get it right and dialect-neutral when they read the news on the air.

That is all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like we are both guilty of prescriptive behavior.

Jeremy

Anonymous said...

'kyupon' sounds so snobbish to my Idahoan ears. Jeremy

sarah said...

I agree, it's rather silly. no offense bridget :)

Matthew said...

I have always pronounced it like "soup - on". Why should it by "kyu"?

Bridget said...

Because the way I talk is the right way, duh!

:)

Actually, I think I'm fighting a losing battle on this one. Another childhood illusion shattered.

Anonymous said...

well Bridget....even the good old French pronounce it "Kupon", not "kyu", and I'm pretty sure coupon is a French word....

Francesco

Kristen said...

I just wish I could take a pitcher of this post and keep it in my bayg.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails