Monday, March 05, 2007

Welcome to the mall, Mom


That's the motto of Tucson Mall. Yes, really. Their other motto is, "What if Mother's Day were a place?"

I've never been a big mall person, but I have to say that I'm impressed with Tucson Mall. We rode our bikes there a couple of weeks ago (it is located conveniently off the River Path) and I was surprised at all the family-friendly amenities we found there.

There were the usual perks, of course, like strollers available for rent, and changing tables in the bathrooms. But Tucson Mall also has those little jumpseats inside of regular toilet stalls. That way, Mom can go to the bathroom without having to worry about the little one rampaging around a disgusting public restroom. (These are situations you never realize exist until you are a mom yourself.) The only other place I've ever seen those are at IKEA.

There are family restrooms, another nicety previously seen only at IKEA. But there is also a nursing lounge. Wow!

The customer service desk gives out little kid activity kits. And - though apparently this is normal and I just didn't know about it - there is an indoor playground at the mall. It's a really neat playground, too, sponsored by a local hospital with play structures in the shape of medical instruments (the non-scary ones). Miriam loves it. Plus, there is hand sanitizer at the entrance, and comfy padded benches around the perimeter to sit on. What more could you ask for?

So now the mall is somewhere that I don't mind going. It's not that I hang out there on a regular basis, but if some shopping has to be done, I'd rather do it there than anywhere else. Because I know that Miriam can have a good time and that all my needs will be taken care of.

And I'm going to stop now because I'm really starting to sound like a commercial. Bottom line: Tucson Mall is awesome, and they've done a great job catering to us moms. Thanks!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I was never a big mall person--except in Jordan when I realized that the mall was the cool place to hang out...

I haven't been to a mall since though.

Tucson mall sounds great though. See, there are some perks in Tucson!

Crissy Bear said...

OH MY GOSH! Bridget our mall is exactly the same....with the whole Mother's Day slogan, the family bathrooms, the nursing station, and the playgound of giant medical equipment. Quick does it start with a nurse that has her hand out telling you how tall you should be if you are going to play on the equipment? Also do you always have older girls trying to climb up on top of the giant medical bag but because they've started to enter that lovely place called pre-puberty they don't have enough muscle in their arms to haul themselves up? Just wondering. Ezra loves those bathrooms. One time when I was still pregnant he had to go and so did I...so while he was sitting on the little tiny toliet I sat on the bigger one to pee. Now everytime we go he is always asking if I need to go as well. No child...that was just desperation. He also loves the little sinks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails