Tuesday, November 27, 2007

At the risk of revealing how lame I can be

In case you didn't know already, they're making a movie of Twilight. Recently, they announced the actress who will be playing Bella. Her name is Kristen Stewart, and based on her performance in the one movie I've seen her in (Speak, an intense but awesome movie that most high-schoolers would benefit from watching), she is perfect for the part. I am about as excited as one can be for something like this (and possibly more excited than I should be).

It is so refreshing when the people who cast movies get something right. They do a good job most of the time, but every once in a while they make an error so egregious, so sensibility-offending that it singlehandedly ruins a movie.

For example, whose idea was it to cast Maggie Gyllenhaal as Rachel Dawes in the new Batman movie? Whoever it is must be on a quest to cast my personal least-favorite actresses in the role (after Katie Holmes in the first one). It also must be a totally different person than the one who was in charge of casting the rest of the movie, because everyone else looks awesome. Who would have thought that Christian Bale could dance in Newsies, give sloppy kisses in Little Women, actually accept a part in a lame dragon movie, and yet somehow portray a very menacing, convincing Batman?

Other bad casting decisions that spring to mind include Jeff Daniels in The Crossing (as George Washington!), Kevin Costner in everything except Field of Dreams (when the role he played actually fit his one acting ability: playing a bland white guy), and Julia Stiles in everything she's ever been in.

What, in your opinion, are the best and worst casting decisions you've noticed?

14 comments:

Jen said...

Speaking of Little Women, Kirsten Dunst as the young Amy March ALWAYS gets under my skin....

Bridget said...

Yes, Kirsten Dunst has a lot of least-favorite-actress potential. But somehow, I've always liked her, maybe even because she was young Amy March.

Now, if you want to start talking about Samantha Mathis, then maybe we'd get somewhere...

Steven said...

Hugh Grant in anything ruins a movie for me--I was only able to watch Sense & Sensibility because I've been a Jane Austen fan for three decades. HG was a dope in that movie & so full of himself in general.

Steven said...

That was mom, not me, who left the comment at 18:10. I was logged in at the moment.

-Steven

Crissy Bear said...

Bridget what is the deal with Twilight? Is this some kind of cult thing? I don't get it. Twilight, High School Musical, and Wicked are the talk of the Mormon Lady town out here. We watched High School Musical. It was interesting...I guess. Sort of like a not quite as well done but much cleaner version of Grease. Jason walked in at the end and said, "Hey why are those basketball players so short and girlie?" Wicked I read and thought...sicko. But I've heard the musical is much more chipper. Twilight I've so far avoided because it seems like once people pick it up they lose all sense of themselves and start reading the series over and over and over again :) I love Christian Bale. I thought the Batman movie would be horrible but it was actually great, and you know how I feel about the Prestige. Speaking of batman how about the casting for the first three. I also can't stand Diane Keaton. No particular reason. She just bugs me.

Bridget said...

But Mom/Steven, Hugh Grant in that movie was like Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams - finally in his element, of all film roles. He was a bumbling, mildly pompous romantic interest. I think that's all he ever is.

Ooh, Diane Keaton is another one. I think I saw her in a Woody Allen movie once and she wasn't too bad, but otherwise...

Who were the other Batmans (Batmen?)? Michael Keaton...Val Kilmer, maybe? And one more, I think.

sarah said...

George Clooney was one of them. and i agree about julia stiles, especially in the bourne movies...she just doesn't fit. and i'm not sure i liked patrick dempsey in enchanted.

Nattie said...

Yuck on Kirsten Dunst in absolutely everything. She ruins all the Superman movies for me.

Oh, and Keira Knightley in Pride and Prejudice. She is barely tolerable in Pirates, but come on. Okay, so I don't really like her at all either. You know that little pouty face she does? I hate it so much!

Ben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Briana said...

Sorry, I just posted the comment above and realized that I posted it under Ben's name. Anyway...here's what I had to say. I agree with you on the Twilight movie. I loved the books and I am so excited for the movie. I just wonder who they will get to play Edward. I think that Bella is wonderfully casted. We'll see how it all plays out.

Bridget said...

Ah yes, George Clooney. Thank you, Sarah. Patrick Dempsey in Enchanted was OK for me, but I've never seen him in anything else, or indeed, even heard of him, so what's not to like?

Kirsten Dunst and Keira Knightley are both major polarizers. I think I like both of them (and on the latter, at least, the Academy agrees with me. Not that that means anything these days). Sorry, Nattie.

Briana, Edward will be the real challenge and no matter who they pick, I think a lot of people will be upset. So I'm ok with whoever, really.

sarah said...

he's doctor "mcdreamy" on grey's anatomy, that's why he bothers me. but i still thought it was a cute show

Heather said...

We think Julia Stiles looks like you. I just read yesterday that Christian Bale is the next Terminator.

~~~ said...

I can't stand Kirsten Dunst, but she is in one of my favorite movies, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," and another hilarious and possibly lesser-known movie "Drop Dead Gorgeous." If you like Christopher Guest's films (Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show), then you'd enjoy this one too.

Keira Knightley and Hugh Grant are in another favorite movie: "Love Actually," and I enjoyed them both! So there.


-Risten

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails