Monday, January 21, 2008

Skater PhD

In case I've never stated or explained it explicitly on this blog: my husband is in his third year of a PhD program at the University of Arizona in Second Language Acquisition and Teaching, with a focus on Arabic. In December, he finished - and passed - his comprehensive exams, an event which I should write a blog post about, seeing as it made my life a lonely, living hell and all, but we'll see. This means that he is now considered ABD: "All But Dissertation." And that should be well on its way to being finished within the next year and a bit.

I give you this background because I'm about to share some videos that give you a very different picture of my Jeremy. He and his brothers recently unearthed some old home videos (edited by Jeremy and his friends) of him skateboarding in 1994. The music on the first video is as it was originally put together by a bunch of teenagers. And for our younger audience, let me remind you that in 1994, skateboarding was still very much looked down on by a lot of people. It certainly wasn't the wholesome, knee-padded activity it is today.

Jeremy skating around northern Idaho and possibly eastern Washington:


Bloopers:


I'll end on this note: Jeremy is the only 30-something PhD candidate I know of who has Heelys and wears them on a regular basis. I'm still not sure how I feel about that :).

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

If it makes you feel any better, Jeff wishes he had Heelys. He thinks they are cool, even for "mature" adults. :)

The Ensign's said...

That's too funny!!!! I'm sure Chad would like some Heeley's to, but would be too embarressed to idmit it.

Nancy said...

A side of Jeremy I never thought I'd see--truthfully, a side of Jeremy I never knew I'd see...

But after seeing it, it kind of fits.

I tried my little sister's Heelys once. They were fun but I fall over enough without wearing Heelys. I soon gave them up.

Crys said...

I love that even in Jeremy's maturing state (hehe) he is able to keep part of himself. I saw this thing with Tony Hawk recently and thought good grief when did he get so old...and then realize it was when I got so old :) Yesterday I told Jason I have a very immature spirit. I'm trying to use this to manipulate our bishopric into putting me in young women's. Relief Society is just to stuffy for me! I hate how every 22 year old wants to be so "mature". Just because I look ancient doesn't mean I have to feel ancient :) POWER TO THE HEELYS! Congrats on ABD! Thats where we are at right now, although currently instead of writing Jason is watching Nacho Libre. What can you do :)

Anonymous said...

Great videos! And congrats to Jeremy on the ABD. Scott's at that stage as well, and we're hoping he'll defend in a little over a year. With luck, they'll both get through the experience unscathed. : )

Hannah

Mikael said...

I love this post!!! Does that turn you on? I love when stuff like that comes out of no where about my husband.
And all my 7 yr old ballet students wear their heelys!

Jonesy said...

That was some sweet music on that first video! He was pretty good, I love it! -Arielle

Craig said...

I am most seriously impressed! I was wondering if that weren't Jeremy at all in the videos. Pretty talented!

Danny and Julee George said...

Those videos are awesome. I didn't know Jeremy was a skater-punk. I love it! Although, if I were Jeremy's wife I am not sure how I would feel about it either.
It reminds me of when Jason, my brother, graduated from college and started work in the corporate world. He rode his skateboard to work everyday for the first year to save on parking. He parked in a free lot a mile from work.

Natchel said...

I really could never have imagined that Jeremy was a skater! And he's good! As for the Heelys... I hate those things. I want to throw a stick in front of the kids that wear those. I'm not sure where the animosity comes from but... man those things suck.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails