Thursday, January 03, 2008

There's a first time for everything

Jeremy got his first traffic ticket on our drive from Tucson to Idaho Falls. It happened just north of Flagstaff, Arizona. I-10 had ended and we were driving on Highway 89. He was clocked as going 75 mph in a 55 mph zone.

Unfortunately, the story behind Jeremy’s first traffic ticket ever isn’t as exciting or outrageous as it could be. The speed limit on the highway fluctuated as the road wound through small town after small town, and Jeremy thought we were far enough away from civilization that the speed limit surely must have gone up again. Meanwhile, Miriam was begging for a bite of Jeremy’s Frostie. He couldn’t have been going 75 mph for more than a total of 30 seconds. But sometime during that short period, a cop going the other direction did a quick U-turn and pulled us over.

I really think that if the cop had been a man, he wouldn’t have given Jeremy a ticket. But it was a woman, and she seemed determined to make a point. The thing is, whatever point it was is wasted on us because first of all, we were out-of-towners who had never driven there before, and second of all, we will never drive there again.

She did, however, write the ticket for only 65 mph in a 55 mph zone, which offense is called “a waste of a finite resource.”

We still don’t know how much the ticket is for. The policewoman gave us a number (of Podunk Town’s courthouse) to call to find out. When we called the number a few days ago, the lady told us that she couldn’t give us that information. Jeremy said, in shocked incredulity, “How is that possible?!?” What he meant, of course, was, “how is it possible that you cannot tell me how much my ticket is for?” The lady thought he was on his way to getting very upset, because she told him to calm down. And what she meant, apparently, was that the information wasn’t available yet.

I’m sorry a “first ticket for Jeremy” had to happen, but at least it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. Of course, if the ticket turns out to be $431 or some other outrageous sum, I might have to take that back…

4 comments:

Hareega said...

I was once got a ticket on I-10 in Phoenix for driving 20 mph pver the limit , was alos my first ticket :(
Anyway , you can go to a class for something around 130 dollars and they would cancel your ticket and that's much better because your inusrance wouldn't know about it and wouldn't raise your insurance. so it's better to go to school it's like 8 hours one session not too boring.

here's a number of the school i went to it's on oracle and ornage grove i think but u can ask them
547-2507

i miss the 5-JD tickets i used to get in Jordan

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about that. It's really a pity for good drivers to get tickets when there are so many crazy drivers who really deserve them...

I don't drive often enough to have any ticket stories of my own, but my mom once got one because a picture was taken of her car running a red light. She was very irritated, needless to say. Knowing what a careful driver my mom is, I think she must not have had time to stop for a yellow light, and that the light must have turned red quickly. Like Jeremy, she probably didn't need to be taught any sort of lesson...

Hope the ticket isn't too expensive.

Hannah

Nancy said...

Man, that story you linked to was hilarious. But only because it didn't happen to you.

I hope your ticket isn't for that much.

Ashley said...

I got my first ticket there too!! I was going 80 in a 70 and he threatened me with Jail! It was a month before Ben and I were supposed to get married and I ended up having to pay $300 and take a driving school course. Yuck, good luck!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails