Saturday, March 08, 2008

Another ice cream scandal

Remember Dreyer's Loaded, and my damage with it?

Well, now Breyer's deserves a nastygram, too. I was at Fry's the other day and ice cream was on sale (there is always one kind or another on sale at Fry's, which is the main reason why I love that store). We took a look at the Breyer's variety and I noticed that there seemed to be two kinds of packaging available. One was what I've been used to. The other was newer, sleeker, and redesigned.

Compare the old, (in the largest size I could find):

to the new:


What is not splashed all over the fancy new packaging is the fact that this new carton holds a full seventh less ice cream than its predecessor. You have to look closely, but the (long standard yet still aggravating to those who remember the days of full 2qt ice cream cartons) 1.75-qt volume has been reduced, yet again, and all too soon, to a measly 1.5 quarts.

I remember when all the major ice cream brands used to do 2-qt cartons, and then one by one, they gave in and reduced it to 1.75-qt - but didn't lower the price. Tillamook brand ice cream was one of the last to submit and I seem to recall my mom confronting some poor employee at the Tillamook Cheese Factory and asking something like, "why, why, WHY?!?!?"

The answer was "due to customer demand." Because for sure, all us customers were "demanding" a smaller carton of ice cream for the same price as the bigger one.

OK, I think I'm done. For now, anyway.

3 comments:

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Here's the real scoop (haha): Dad & I were talking to the manager at the Tillamook ice cream counter a few years ago, and said to her that we were distressed over the smaller size ice cream cartons adopted by other brands, and we hoped Tillamook would never stoop so low. She got a funny look on her face that said, 'guess what folks' and then gave us the bad news that in a few months that was exactly what was going to happen. She said the reason was that stores wanted more space on the shelves so more products could be displayed.

If stores & manufacturers only knew how I hate the bewildering confusing array of choices on the shelves--you can't even buy Ritz crackers without deciding between regular, reduced salt, peanut butter, mini, & about 3-4 other kinds that I can't remember now, and each of those in a small or large box. Makes me want to run screaming from the store!

Danny and Julee said...

I hear ya!!!

Mikael said...

I hate when products change the packaging! It so confuses me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails