Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Is this a girly blog?

Every once in a while, Jeremy makes some comment about my blog that makes it clear that he thinks it's a "girly blog." He claims that no men ever comment (not entirely true - he's commented a few times himself, hasn't he?) and that I write about "girl stuff."

Well, apparently the women of Belgium are getting the same kinds of "complaints" from their compatriots. But the difference between me and them is that they are mad as heck and they're not going to take it anymore! So today they started Wijven Week, which means something like "Girly Week." All this week, the Belgian ladies will be blogging a different girly topic each day. And in a show of solidarity with my Belgian sisters, who I have never really given a thought to until today, so will I. And Jeremy can see what a girly blog really looks like.


Today's topic: mijn wijflijf (my body)

It's been interesting to be pregnant with Sasha 2.0 and compare the experience with Sasha 1.0. The only real similarity that I can think of is that, once again, I will be moving a couple of times (though this time, not internationally).

With Sasha 1.0, I was craving all kinds of only-in-America foods that were unprocurable in Syria, and doing weird things like going to Lebanon to buy tortilla chips. Eventually, I trained myself to crave fattoush and baba ghanouj instead. I felt really connected to the pregnancy and had a sonogram at every doctor visit. I was excited to start "showing" and was ecstatic the first time a complete stranger noticed I was pregnant and congratulated me. I didn't go out and exercise specifically for that purpose, but living in Damascus and walking everywhere to do everything probably made up for that, more or less.

Also, as I've mentioned before, I gained a massive amount of weight during that pregnancy (and subsequently lost it all, just so you know).

I was curious if gaining all that weight was just the way my body was, or if coming back to the land of Tillamook ice cream sometime during my eighth month had something to do with it (and Mom, I know you think you have the answer to that question, so you can just keep it to yourself).

With Sasha 2.0, I fell in love with tortilla chips again, and it was nice to be able to walk to Fry's and buy a gigantic bag for the same price I paid for a tiny package in Beirut (not that it wasn't worth it, believe you me!). Until we found out it was a girl, I confess I did not feel very connected with this pregnancy. The fact that we're only "allowed" one, maybe two sonograms during the whole 40 weeks might have something to do with that. And I didn't bother telling anyone I was pregnant until beyond the point where that complete stranger in Syria asked me how far along I was. Exercise is more of a conscious goal this time around, and I'm still running or biking six days a week.

And you know what? I have gained less weight so far. But you know what else? I am "showing" just as much as the first time around. I guess I have to give up the dream of being one of those cute pregnant women. Instead, I'm the one who, at six months along, looks about ready to deliver. I also get to experience the lovely, self-esteem-boosting feeling of no longer fitting into maternity clothes for those last several weeks.

Sigh. Maybe that moving-during-late-pregnancy trend will be my friend this time. I'll get to leave Tucson at about 7 months along, at the stage where all my friends will be wondering if I could possibly get any bigger. And I will get bigger, but they won't be around to see it, and then I'll come back to Tucson having had the baby and they'll be none the wiser.

There, Jeremy. Was that girly enough for you?

Ladies, join in!!!!! It will be totally fun!!!!!!!

16 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

I have a theory that most women go into hiding around their seventh month, and so most of the world has the misconception that seven months pregnant is as big as you "should" get. And those that never get any bigger proudly flaunt their tiny basketball bumps while the rest of us screen our calls and grocery shop at 2am. And I feel you on that maternity clothes thing - mine stop fitting around that time too. At 10 days overdue, literally the only clothes I had to wear were Chris' sweatshirts - and he is 6'3". It was sad.

I wish I could say I was running/biking 6 days per week. I also wish I could say that it's over 35 degrees here. I think the latter might have something to do with the former... and if not, it makes for a great excuse.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

You take after your Mom you know. When you're small-boned and barely over five feet the baby has no where to go but straight out in front. Of course you recall that day at the bike shop when you were barely seven months along w/ MDP, & the employee noted that you were due any moment.

Eating better this time will help with weight loss after delivery. Tillamook choco-peanut-butter ice cream should not be your main staple during pregnancy! ;-)

Shannan said...

I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again having just gone through this.
Because I had two older kids who didn't stop and we were moving and we had a lot of financial decisions and pressure, I found that I didn't gain as much weight up front with this last pregnancy. I still showed just as much, but it was more of a round basketball (which is something, I shamefully admit, always wanted considering I gained 40-50 lbs with my previous pregnancies).

I exercised almsot every day and when I was too big and uncomfortable by 8 mos. to walk and do extra cardio, I did a easy workout DVD and daily yoga. All that to be said, by 35 weeks, I began to PACK IT ON. I went from gaining only 23 lbs to gaining the full 40 lbs of weight by the time I delivered Chase. I know because I cheated and looked at my weight.

Now, I had to get on the scale a week ago and I found out that I've lost 25 of the 42 lbs I gained which means I have 17 lbs left to lose to get to pre-pregnancy (this is at 3 weeks postpartum) My neighbor took a picture of me on Easter and I seriously look just as fat as I ever did with the other kids even though I am technically not a heavy.

ALL THIS TO BE SAID, I have gotten back in the gym this week, even started jogging lightly because I feel great. I never did that with the others because by week 3 I still felt crummy. I truly believe that I will drop the weight a little faster this time.

I also agree with your theory that your body gains what it needs to gain. This last pregnancy totally proved that. I'll keep you posted on how well I do in the postnatal period.
So far, so good.

The Ensign's said...

First off.... I admire that you are running/biking 6 times a week!!! That is awesome! I dont run and I'm not prego! (However I have big plans to start this week!!! We'll see how it goes!)
Second..... I dont know what your talking about! You look good for being half way along. Especially w/ your 2nd. With my second I was showing way earlier and still 10 months later I'm still trying to fit into my jeans like I use to. It's been rough, but again..... you look great!
and last.... it just accured to me that your gonna come home with a new baby. That's soooo crazy. I mean I knew that, but didn't really think about it.

Anonymous said...

There is so much estrogen in this blog that female readers should beware that their menstrual cycles might start synchronizing....

Jeremy :)

Bridget said...

Liz, I think your "7-months-and-then-into-hiding" theory is absolutely correct! That explains SO much.

Mom, you do realize that you did exactly what I asked you not to do, right? Right?

Shannan, I am really interested in your experience so please don't hold back. I'm glad there's someone else out there who just gains a ton of weight during pregnancy.

Janae, the first time I read your comment, I thought you were announcing your intentions to get pregnant next week. :)

Bridget said...

Jeremy, tread lightly or I'll ban you from my blog FOREVER!!!!

Anonymous said...

As someone hoping to have children in the future, I found this post very interesting. I also cracked up when I saw Jeremy's comment.

Hannah

Mikael said...

bridget, I doubt you look "ready to deliver" right now. Until I see a pic I don't believe it. As for me, I am 26 wks along and look overdue! It is depressing, along with the double weight gain this time (I too put on 50 with #1, but I have a feeling with the twins it will be 60-70! So far i am at 40 lbs gained... HELP). And, about maternity clothes, I already don't fit into any, so I am avoiding going out.
That is nerd you only get 2 u/s. I get one everytime just because they are twins, but I only got maybe 3 with makenzie.
Pregnancy is just one of those things us woman have to suffer through. I always wonder about those girls that "love pregnancy", I think they are insane!!!!
As far as getting depressed over my obese weight gain, I know I can take it off. The 50 lbs were gone in 4 months with makenzie, so I am giving myself 6 months this time :)

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Right!

The Ensign's said...

haha that's tooo funny! NO THERE ARE NO PLANS TO GET PREGO IN THE NEXT WEEK!!! sorry

The Ensign's said...

haha that's tooo funny! NO THERE ARE NO PLANS TO GET PREGO IN THE NEXT WEEK!!! sorry

Liz Johnson said...

Is there something wrong with synchronized cycles?

Kristen said...

Gained 67 pounds with baby, but have lost it all. I DO think that each body gains what it needs to gain. You and Mikael are great examples of that, and I also exercised until the day I delivered. Now, the choco-peanut butter Tillamook might play a little tiny role. But there is no reason that anybody's mother should go around telling that little secret! (Love ya, SW)

Kristen

Bridget said...

And you didn't even see the comment from my mom that I deleted!

Kristen said...

Okay, now you HAVE to share that with me. A little idea...by email? Pretty pretty please?!?!?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails