Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Wijvenweek: Shopping!


Today's topic for Wijvenweek is shopping! Now I know this isn't a true girly blog because shopping is not something that I enjoy. Even before I had a toddler attempting to climb out of the cart every time I looked away to compared prices, shopping was just something that sometimes had to be done. We found out just how often it needs to be done when I admitted here on this blog that I had owned (and worn!) the same swimsuit for 10 years.

But in honor of wijvenweek, I'll put aside my dislike and tell you about a place where I hate to shop (even within my not-liking-shopping personality), a place that's just OK, and one place I do love.

I really, really don't enjoy shopping at Walgreen's, or any other pharmacy of similar ilk. It's too bad, too, because pharmacies in foreign countries are some of the coolest stores ever! Has anyone else ever noticed that? But here, it's all overpriced, all disorganized, and all grab-happy for a toddler. The only reason I ever go there is because sometimes, there are things you just can't get anywhere else. If you can get it somewhere else, run, don't walk, away from Walgreen's!

I have mixed feelings about Target. On the one hand, it's not Wal*Mart. But on the other hand, the Target closest to our house is a veritable wasteland of abandoned, unstocked shelves. Whenever I go there, I never see the things I need to buy - just the space where they would be if our store actually had them in stock. Also, Target's sales are less than stellar. I'm sorry, Target, but "Clearance" obviously means something different to you than it does to me. Hint: If you marked it down from $9.99 to $9.00 (an actual example I saw yesterday), guess what: that is not really a good sale.

All that said, the Target that is next-closest to our house actually runs a pretty tight ship when it comes to stocking the shelves and making sure there is room to walk between the racks in the toddler girl's clothing section. If only it were closer...

Finally, a store that, if it were possible, could convert me into a shopper: Costco! I'm sure you saw that coming. My most recent good experience with Costco was when they refunded the shipping cost from something we bought on Costco.com and then returned to the warehouse. Who even does that?!? Plus, the workers by the exit always draw a smiley face on the back of the receipt, which Miriam loves. If you need more feel-good stories about Costco, just look to the right sidebar - you'll notice it has its own label.

Well, that's enough girliness for today. Tomorrow, the subject is: men. Watch out, Jeremy :).

5 comments:

Shannan said...

Since Costco feeds and cloths and invests all our money for retirement for our family, I love that you love Costco.

the Targets in OR and WA are always great - too bad. I once bought a leather coat for Jer that had been forgotten in the clearance section - marked from $120 to $19!! I'm not kidding. It still looks really good actually.

The other places I love to shop is Ross for shoes and household items, Marshalls for household items and shoes and accessories, Osh Kosh outlet for the kids (I get EVERYTHING there) and Banana Republic outlet for me.

The end.

Goofball said...

hmm I don't know any of those chains. What about chopping in all those other countries you seem to have lived in?


So cool that you join this Belgian feminine blogging week!!

Jen said...

Ahhhh....the minute I saw the topic I knew you'd confess some more Costco love.

Love it.

I also don't like to shop...with the exception of grocery shopping. I LOVE THAT.

The Ensign's said...

I'm lovin the girly blogs!!!!

Bridget said...

You know, Shannan, it might just be a Tucson thing, then. We seem to get all the crappy versions of the nice stores. I say that because now that you remind me of it, the Ross stores here are sub-par, too.

Goofball, talking about shopping in other countries wouldn't be very girly, now, would it?? But good idea for a future post (note to self...).

Jen, you know me too well :).

Janae, you should join in!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails