Monday, June 16, 2008

Security breech

At my last midwife appointment before leaving Tucson, they told me Sasha 2.0 was breech. That's not really a big deal at 30 weeks (which I was at the time, and again, that's out of 40 total weeks in case you're wondering), even if only one out of four or five babies are in that position that far along in a pregnancy.

Now I'm a little over 33 weeks, and as far as I can tell, Sasha hasn't decided to flip around to the correct position. However, it is notoriously difficult for me to tell exactly how she's situated inside of me. I know that must sound strange, but even if I think I can identify limbs or large segments of body just from feeling them, it's almost impossible for me to put it all together into a 3D image of the baby inside of me.

I have a midwife appointment here in Middlebury later this week, and I'm hoping they'll be able to tell me for sure if she's turned or not.

All of this is not really a big deal, and as far as things going "wrong" in pregnancy, breech position is pretty tame. Except for one thing - most midwives will not deliver breech babies, and in fact, the standard method of delivery for such a situation is C-section.

Yes, the dreaded C-word. That's what's really bothering me about this whole thing. Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against C-sections or the people who choose or are required to have them. But that person was never me. I was all set on visualizing an improved birth experience over my first and all of a sudden I feel like someone has thrown a bucket of cold water on me. I think every woman probably has "C-section" floating around somewhere in the farthest recesses of her mind when she's pregnant, but now it's shoved its way up a few notches of consideration.

I've tried not to think about it too much because Sasha 2.0 still has a few weeks to turn, but I can't help but worry, at least a little bit.

6 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

I'm really hoping she flips around. I have known women with breech babies that decide to flip at 36 or 37 weeks, if that's at all comforting. Have you thought about trying ECV if she doesn't flip??

I can never tell what part is poking me or sticking out. Foot? Hand? Knee? Butt? Head? I have no idea. I don't have the "gift of body part discernment," I guess.

EmmySue said...

Same story with Timothy... but the midwives sent me for an ultrasound because they couldn't tell either. He didn't flip till about 36 weeks. And if he hadn't they would have sent me to a Dr. who's specialty is flipping babies through massage type techniques... but there are still risks with that. Stubborn kids... I'm sure all will go well and the kid will do some gymnastics. :)

Bridget said...

I've heard about "versions." Some people have said they're not a big deal and others have said that actually, it was really painful. And it does carry its own risks. Still, I'm hoping it won't come to that. I'm glad to hear that Timothy turned, even if it was late.

Briana said...

I can never tell where my baby's body parts are either. I hope that she flips soon. And by the way, your house is beautiful!

Lilianne and Jason Wright said...

Bridget - I totally understand how you're feeling. I always thought that I'd do a natural birth and then the "you're-a-type-1-diabetes-you'll-probably-have-to-have-a-c-section" was definitely the game plan - and it took me a long time to really feel at peace with that. I know Heavenly Father answered my prayers, because I was totally supposed to have a c-section, but because of REALLY inaccurate measuring by a VERY experience doctor, they tried and we got her here naturally...much to the surprise of everyone. I hope and pray that you can have the delivery you're wanting! We'll keep you in our prayers.

The Lord is certainly aware - just keep praying and ask Jeremy for blessings. That's what I did! :-) Good luck! We want to hear all about it. BTW - do they not do sonograms at the midwife? I'm just referring to emmy's comment about having to send her to get an ultrasound. Hopefully she's flipped. I could never tell what was what while Lois was in my tummy, either!

Aimee & Fam said...

I would look into the "gentle" turning techniques. I didnt have the breech issue, but a couple in my birth class did. The story from them was that the naturopath dr. actually turned the baby as the mom was laying there. He just gently would prod the baby with his hands. It took a couple hours, but she said it didn't hurt, and the baby did turn and they delivered naturally. If you want I can contact my midwife to see what/who you should look for to help you turn your little miss around.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails