Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy Fourth o'July

In honor of our nation's birthday, I bring you an open letter from the English language to the town of Havre, Montana. Pictures courtesy of my mom, who was there recently.

Dear Havre,

Why do you hate me?

Love,

English Language





On the other end of the spectrum, we have Middlebury, Vermont, whose supermarket is so grammatically anal that its express lane signs actually say "10 Items or Fewer," rather than the universally accepted "10 Items or Less." Bravo! There's no better example of linguistic prescriptivism than one that doesn't quite sound correct to the native English ear, even if it is.

3 comments:

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Spelling problem aside, Havre is a very nice town.

sarah said...

If you only knew how many Kum and Gos I see in a day...

Kristen said...

The convenience store makes me uncomfortable.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails