Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A soundtrack for Sasha 2.0

So I'm trying to figure out a few good songs to listen to during labor. I didn't listen to any music out loud with Miriam, but I did manage to get Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind" stuck in my head. I still can't listen to it without getting the shivers and possibly shedding a tear or two.

To give you an idea of the kind of music I'm looking for, here are the two songs I've chosen already, from the movie Dear Frankie (which you really should see).





















Opening Title, and The Final Letter. Those links lead to Amazon's music page, but you might have better luck listening to a sample on iTunes. Both of these songs are piano-based, not to slow, not too fast, and for me at least, are very evocative of deep, positive emotion. Maybe it helps if you've seen the movie, or if you listen to these songs while on a bus ride through the verdant Vermont countryside as I've tried to do to build positive association.

Some other ideas that I've had for the soundtrack are music from Masterpiece Theatre's versions of Sense & Sensibility and Persuasion, music from the original Amanda Root version of Persuasion, and maybe a Jon Schmidt song or two. The problem is that as far as I can tell, soundtracks have not been released for any of those Jane Austen movies, and I am not familiar with any Jon Schmidt song except "Waterfall."

The other problem is that any song I use may very well be rendered unlistenable after the actual birth experience is over (see Gordon Lightfoot, above). That's why I'm not pulling out the big guns and adding the soundtrack of the 2005 Pride & Prejudice to my list, even though it's pretty much my favorite soundtrack ever. I just can't risk having it ruined for everyday casual listening.

An alternative might be the soundtrack to Atonement, which was written by the same composer as Pride & Prejudice. It gets rave reviews on iTunes - is anyone familiar with it?

What other songs are you aware of that might fit the style of what I'm looking for?

11 comments:

Mikael said...

music calms you? All I remember from Makenzie's labor is having that dang baby channel, with Oprah hosting, on for HOURS! I wanted to kill Oprah by the end and I hated all the ladies on that show who had already had their babies. So pick some music that you won't mind hating for the rest of your life
I am anxoisly awaiting the arrival of Sasha 2.0!

Jeanerbee said...

Jim Brickman has some nice calming piano music. I personally listened to Enya, found it very soothing, and have no problem STILL listening to it after my long labor. In fact, Eli listens to it everyday to fall asleep for his nap. The soundtrack to Pearl Harbor was really good too - that's all I can think of!

Suzanne Bubnash said...

I never listened to music during labor--what a good idea. It would have been helpful during the first one which was long & hard, but we didn't have portable tape players then. The other labors were too quick so no distractions were required. Anyway, during my first labor Craig read aloud to me "In Search of Lehi's Trail" by Lynn & Hope Hilton. As interesting as it was, every time I have thought of it since, it brings back unpleasant memories. . . . .

Crys said...

So I'm more of a hypnosis person myself. With Grace I just used self hypnosis. I kept imagining this scene from Gladiator. I probably saw Russel Crow go through the wheat field a million times in my mind. Weird, I know. Anyway that, the fact I was actually prepared for some pain, and the fact that Ezra had cleared the way made my life 50% easier :) I go with Enya...ok actually I would go with Angry Dixie Chicks, but if I were you I would go with Enya. Do you see why I need to hypnotize myself ;)

Jeremy Palmer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bridget said...

Mikael, were there no other channels available?? I hated the baby channel, too, but they only had it in the recovery rooms, so I wasn't subjected to it during labor. What I was subjected to was Celine Dion ranting hysterically about Hurricane Katrina. One of those memories that just won't go away.

Ooh, Pearl Harbor and Gladiator sound like good soundtracks. Crys, I loved that wheat field scene, too.

I don't think Enya would do it for me, and also, I don't want to ruin all of her songs for the future.

Mom, when we were in Damascus, the Hiltons were missionaries in Irbid. You knew that, right?

Katie said...

I listened to Sarah McLaclan "Surfacing" I and loved it. I can still listen to it and love it. When I hear it, it just reminds me of the amazing feeling when Jonah was born, not the pain.

However, I'm sure it's different for everyone. You have already had a baby, and if you think that it will ruin the music for you, then you know best.

I DO think that the positive association thing is a GREAT idea. One reason that I loved the Sarah McLachlan music is that I used it to fall asleep to for like a whole year in high school, so it makes me very relaxed and sleepy.

Anyway... Have you heard of Sade (pronounced Shar-day) I find her very realaxing. Try the album "Lovers Rock", or "Best of Sade".

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Yes I knew that the Hiltons were there in Jordan, but wasn't Sister H. a second wife? And didn't they get moved to Greece? I should give their story a second chance.

Bridget said...

A second wife, yes, in the sense that his first wife had died (just so we're clear).

Sarah McLachlan might be good. Though, if we're going with music I used to fall asleep to in high school, it would have to be Les Mis. :)

JackJen said...

Are you familiar with the soundtrack to "Far and Away?" It's one of my favorites.

I also like Bernstein's "Candide" suite....

I'm currently on a John Denver kick...and the other day, my neighbor was playing an older Rod Stewart CD, and I was sort of into it. Shhh. Don't tell.

JackJen said...

Oh, and my neighbor would want me to restore her music cred by letting you know that, for a treat, they let their 3 year-old listen to the clash.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails