Thursday, July 10, 2008

The state of things

Miriam and I had another 6-hour adventure trip to the midwife today. A few highlights and some info on how Sasha 2.0 is doing:

- Whoever invented rain shields for strollers is a genius. And Karina is a slightly lesser genius (but only slightly) for reminding/advising me to bring one to Middlebury. Miriam continues to be the best-equipped member of the family by owning rain boots, a rain coat, water sandals, and some ruggedly functional duds from Columbia Sportswear (courtesy of Grandpa Walker). I don't think Jeremy and I own all of the above even in combination.

- Small-town New England continues to hold considerable charm for me. Bristol was having a farmer's market on the village green (I really don't make this stuff up, even if it does sound idyllically unrealistic) when we passed through town.

- I had a great visit with the midwife, and Sasha 2.0 has officially turned. Also, I know it doesn't really matter, but I basically gained no weight in the last three weeks. That should tell you how good (in both flavor and substance) the food really is here. What it also tells you is how much walking around I do since we don't have a car. Don't worry, there's still a chance I'll gain just as much weight as I did last time. But it looks like I might come in just a few pounds under gaining 50% of my body weight this time around.

- Has anyone (without previous history of premature babies with problems) ever not been anxious to get the show on the road, as it were, as far as labor goes? I'll be 37 weeks - legally full-term - on Sunday and I am SO ready. Bring it on.

10 comments:

JackJen said...

we watched fireworks on a town green in wakefield, ma. over a lake. with a band playing in the background.

truth is more idyllic than fiction.

any thoughts of making new england permanent?

(congratulations on both the turning and the 37 weeks! not too long until you're a family of FOUR!)

Liz Johnson said...

I'm so excited for you and share your sentiments - BRING IT ON!

As of today, I have officially gained as much weight as I did last time. With probably 2 weeks to go. I'm trying really hard not to care, but it's not working.

Aimee & Fam said...

Truth be told I was EXCITED for labor/delivery, even welcomed it and felt very prepared, especially after nearly 42 weeks of pregnancy! But it really was a switch from not feeling ready to feeling oh-so-ready, and it happened very quickly.

EmmySue said...

Thanks for rubbing in the pixies and fairytales to those who still suffer in the sand trap we call Tucson. It is HOT and sandy, and well HOT... sure you miss it tons.
Enjoy being prego the last little bit. I got antsy too... but failed to realize that the sooner baby came the sooner I had even less sleep. Baby is much easier to take care of when sniggled in the belly.

Bridget said...

See, I keep trying to increase my patience with the "baby is easier to take care of when she's inside of me" argument, but it's not working so well anymore. I literally cannot remember the last time I was physically comfortable.

Still, it's all I've got, so I'll have to keep repeating it to myself :).

Britney said...

I remember having those same desperate thoughts just before my 2nd baby arrived mercifully early at 38 weeks, weighing a healthy 7 lbs. 10 oz.

Maybe you're due for a little mercy, too?

Early or not, I'm excited for you. (Not that that is ANY consolation for you, I'm sure.)

Hang in there.

Katie said...

Believe it or not, I was not anxious at all to go into labor. I actually asked my doctor to move my induction date back another week even though I was already a week over and very uncomfortable.

I'm not sure how this is supposed to make you feel better, but I thought I'd share :)

Hang in there, and hey, at least your not roasting in Tuscon!

Jennifer said...

I was actually ok with still being pregnant until the day I delivered, despite some discomfort, but I was very anxious to get the baby out when she measured 8 lbs 1 oz in an ultrasound 2 weeks before her due date. Granted, that was give or take 15 ounces, but that still meant she was over 7 lbs. I knew she was just getting bigger every day and was afraid of her getting too big. Thank heavens she came 3 days early...at 9 lbs 2 oz...the ultrasound was pretty accurate.

Bridget said...

Jen, New England will definitely be in the running. Along with a lot of other places, true, but yes, it's on the table.

Miriam was a 38-weeker too, Britney, so any longer than that with this one and it will just seem like forever. Plus, even at two weeks early, she was 7 lbs. 5 oz. So a 40-weeker could be...bigger. Yikes.

Mikael said...

I didnt realize you are so close to having that baby. I hope she comes soon for your own sanity sake (I know how miserable it gets in the end X2). Hoping you the best labor and delivery and also recovery (we always forget that once the baby is out it doesnt end there.)!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails