Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Magdalena's Birth Story: the condensed version

I'll post two versions of the birth story here. This one will be a relatively brief version for those of you who don't care to know the specific dimensions of my cervix at certain points in time. Although really, in a birth story I don't know if there is such a thing as TMI.

Also, in case you're wondering, "why even bother?" I found that reading birth stories before going through the experience myself was extremely helpful and very interesting. So I might as well make a contribution to the corpus.

8pm, August 1: Climbed the 8 flights of stairs in Bicentennial Hall here on campus (all the way up to the planetarium on top).


8pm, August 2: Repeated the above.

6am, August 3: My water broke.

6.30am: Contractions begin.

8.30am: Got a ride to the Porter Hospital Birthing Center in a Middlebury College police car. Sirens were not employed.

9.00am: Non-stress test; everything is fine and we're good to go. I read Breaking Dawn, while standing up and walking around until...

11.00am: Contractions are bad enough that I get in the tub of my dreams. The lights are dim and I close the bathroom door behind me. It's just me, my iPod Shuffle, and some cold ginger ale.

2.15pm-ish: I get out of the tub, get on the bed, and tell everyone I'm ready to push.

3.03pm: Magdalena Sonora Palmer is born! We're all kind of in shock that she's such a chub (8.5 pounds). I told you I was big.

Anything else you're dying to know I will post in the unabridged version, hopefully very soon.

8 comments:

Aimee said...

Wasn't the tub AMAZING? Truly a natural epidural! I am a little jealous your labor/delivery went so quickly! Thats my hope for the next one. Again Congratulations, I don't even know how you are writing. It took me weeks to be able to recover enough to get my birth story into words.
PS Can a I put a link to your blog on mine?

JackJen said...

I'm still stuck on the whole climbing stairs thing. Good for you! I'm so glad your experience was so great!!!!

Sarah Rose Evans said...

Sounds like it was a great experience!

Kristen said...

Condensed Schmondensed! I want details! So far, it sounds awesome, and I'm just dying to know the rest. Where were Jeremy and Miriam? Sure, you've got a newborn to take care of and love on, but hello! You're friends want to hear the birth story. (Is the sarcasm coming through?) Wish we could go grab a Jamba Juice together and talk about it. Someday...

Jeanerbee said...

Awesome!!! Seriously, now I just want to know the whole story!

Mikael said...

congratulations!!! WOW! your labor was quick, that is awesome. i am so happy that everything went as you would have liked. That is great. You look AMAZING!!

Fromagette said...

Hurray for tubs! The tub at the hospital was a lifesaver with my first labor, especially for Hubby. And it is just wonderful that hospitals now realize that you can't get infections from taking a bath after your water has broken. Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Linda said...

Well, I had to check in and see if you had your baby yet! You really had a great day...I am so glad! AND I was highly relieved to find that your mom exchanged for a Ford Focus before you had to come home. I am interested in your ride to the hospital..was that pre-arranged?

Really? you can't get an infection from taking a bath after your water has broken? I still didn't know that!

And lastly, what will you call her? Her 4 syllable name is pretty but she is pretty tiny, even at 8 whatever!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails