Friday, October 03, 2008

I wish I could do my chores in peace


Today, as I mopped the floor while Miriam begged me for a snack and Magdalena cried in her swing, I thought of a new definition of motherhood as it often means to me. I've always known that motherhood means not having time to do the things I want to do. Today, I realized that motherhood also means not having time to do the things I don't want to do. For example, mopping the floor. Sigh.

Another tidbit of wisdom tonight is for all the people who are wondering how it is to have two kids now instead of one (aside from the touchy-feely aspect of it all that I addressed here). Going from one to two kids was definitely less of a major transition for me than going from zero to one. I don't know if I'm in the majority or minority on that point. Yes, it is definitely more work, but you know what? It is also strangely liberating! With one kid, I could still get a lot done, so I often tried to, and I often failed. With two kids, I have resigned myself to the fact that I probably won't get anything done, ever, so why try? And then I don't fail. Wonderful.

10 comments:

The Ensign's said...

It's about time us mom's hire ourselves a cleaning crew

Liz Johnson said...

EXACTLY! That whole part about two kids being liberating is exactly how I've felt, but I couldn't figure out how to put it in words. Amen!

EmmySue said...

Now if only we could explain this to our hard working husbands who come home and see the house the same wreck as when they left... not that we didn't try... it just didn't happen.

Jeanerbee said...

I SO hear you about the chores thing! When I'm trying to do dishes (which is hard enough with the belly in the way) Eli is usually right under my legs trying to get in the dishwasher, close it, or open the cabinet I'm standing in front of. It makes chores so much harder! Seriously, I want to hire this part of the job out to someone else! =)

Britney said...

So very, very true.

I think when I had one child, after I factored in naptimes and help from my husband, I mistakenly thought that parenting was a part-time job. When the second baby came along, however, I could no longer deny that it's full-time, overtime and then some.

And so for me, and like you said, it feels good to have that all figured out.

Fromagette said...

Amen.

Lindsay said...

I'm figuring out that it gets even worse with three. I'm just excited when I get to take a shower!!!

Lark said...

I totally agree with you on everything! I did better with 2 than 1 for the same reason. Now that I have 3, nothing gets done and we don't go anywhere but my expectations are low, so it doesn't matter - it feels great :)

Sharon and Spencer said...

I agree with Lark. It's amazing to find time to do anything between feedings, naptime, school, etc. Every night my brain is fried from dealing with crying, fussing, and disciplining. Poor Spencer.

Kristen said...

NOT what I want to hear, ladies! Maybe it's best if Madelyn is an only child. I guess I am too selfish for the life you have described. Someone discuss some positives, besides the mushy part about how much you love your second and third children?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails