Monday, October 20, 2008

There's a reason sleep deprivation is a form of torture

The girls have got some kind of sleep racket going, and it's wearing me down, fast. In many ways, this exemplifies how two kids can be harder than one. It's not necessarily any one thing that any single child does. It's all their antics combined that threatens to push me over the edge.

We've got bedtimes pretty well synchronized for Miriam and Magdalena. It's the waking up part that is kicking my butt. Magdalena wakes up ready for the day at about 6am. So I get up with her, feed her, and play with her until she realizes, about 90 minutes later, that she wasn't ready to get up after all. So I put her back to bed, and get back in bed myself...

...to be woken up by Miriam about five minutes later. And Magdalena snoozes away while I wish I could be snoozing right along with her.

The sleep deprivation is really getting to me. Here is an actual conversation I had with a cashier at Old Navy yesterday:

Old Navy Employee: Would you like the receipt with you or in the [pronounced with Midwestern accent] bag?
Me: In the bag. Where are you from?
ONE: Michigan. A lot of people tell me I talk like I'm from Wisconsin or somewhere.
Me: Yeah. What part of Michigan?
ONE: Near Detroit.
Me: My husband has been to Madison a few times and he says it's a really nice place.
ONE: [Blank stare, politely covered up by some common pleasantry.]

Of course, it was only after I left the store that I realized I had made a fool of myself. Because Detroit is in Michigan, and Madison is in Wisconsin, and they happen to be separated by about 500 miles and a Great Lake. I know that, I really do. I'm not like that neighbor girl of mine who moved in when we were both in fifth grade. I had heard she was from Milwaukie, so when I met her, I asked her if she was from Wisconsin. Her response? "What's Wisconsin?" Not where's Wisconsin. WHAT. I am not that girl, I promise!

I considered going back into Old Navy and telling the employee what I really meant to say. But then I realized I didn't really know what I meant to say. I was just trying to make chit-chat on Day 45 of systematic sleep deprivation.

*Sigh.*

9 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

That reminds me of my best friend, Sandi, saying "You live in Indiana right? Isn't that by Nebraska? Which is right above Florida, right?" I'm not sure if she can legitimately blame that one on her four kids, but I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt on that one.

I'm with you. Most of my efforts these days are centered around getting two children to sleep at the same time. And it's exhausting!

Does this mean Magdalena is sleeping through the night??

Bridget said...

If Magdalena were sleeping through the night, the title of this post would be: Life is Awesome.

She's still waking up 1-3 times a night. I'm working on getting it down to 2. And so on.

Anonymous said...

You have every right to delete the following comment:

The next time a parent of a baby asks me for a pearl of wisdom, I'm going to say: enjoy the sleep you're getting now, because when he/she is a teenager, you'll get less.

I'm rebounding from two late nights in a row waiting up to make sure the teen in the family actually arrived home. That alone would be tiring but on Friday we were up early for school as usual, & on Saturday morning I had to get up at 5-something to make sure the teen was up to catch the bus to an activity.

Up till nearly 1 a.m., then up at 5 the next morning--mmmmm, sounds like we have a baby in the house. It's not enough sleep for a mid-50s parent!

Britney said...

You said it. Those sleepless months can be torturous. And once you're out of the "fog" in a few months, you'll probably wonder how you did it.

My kids both sleep through the night now, but if I ever lose even one hour of sleep, I feel exactly like the type of girl who would say, "What's Wisconsin?"

onlymehere said...

I was blog hopping and found you. I'll definitely be back as you sound like a very funny lady and one who I could relate to!

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Haha, I remember Nicole who didn't know what Wisconsin was. In her defense, I believe she was one of those kids whose upbringing featured an unhealthy focus on pop culture rather than on education, reading, intelligent dinner-time conversation, enlightening family activities, etc.

Lilianne and Jason Wright said...

I've totally been there, Bridget. I won't even go into what knowingly stupid things I have said to people in a state of sleep deprivation. And you do wonder...Should I go back and say something so that they know that I'm not a total idiot? But, yet again, because of the sleep deprivation, you just don't care enough because you're just exhausted.

I can't imagine with two - Lois is usually up between 5-5:30am then wanting to go back to bed after she realizes she shouldn't be up. I can't imagine if I had another child trying to wake me up after I finally get back to sleep. These babies are crazy. Who in the world wakes up at 5-6 am anyway? It's not normal. :-)

Bridget said...

Welcome, onlymehere!

You know, now that I think about it, What's-Wisconsin-girl probably thought I was weird because I didn't know about all kinds of stuff she was an expert on. So I guess it goes both ways.

Lili, I know it's shocking, but there are people who don't agree with us that it's not natural to wake up at 5 in the morning.

Kristen said...

Ha ha! Suzanne gave it away. I knew that girl, and am not surprised.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails