Monday, November 10, 2008

So tired. So very, very tired.

These days, I'm having flashbacks to this post about sleep deprivation. Did anyone notice the mistake in that post? I talked about being on "day 45 of systematic sleep deprivation" when in reality, it was more like day 75 since Magdalena was 2.5 months old at the time, not 1.5. Self-illustrating commentary, I guess.

Lately it's been Miriam waking up at night that has pushed me over the edge into bleary-eyed oblivion. The other night, I went to bed early with the girls, hoping to get at least a few-hour block of sleep at once. Instead, I was woken up at midnight (by Magdalena), 1am (by Miriam), 3am (by Magdalena, and kept awake until 4.30am), 5am (by Miriam), 6am (by Magdalena), and finally up for the day at 7am (with Miriam). At this point, school districts should be paying me to go to high school gymnasiums across the country as an object lesson against teen pregnancy. Behold the sunken-in eyes! The messy hair! The spitup-stained clothing that she's been wearing since the day before yesterday, which is also the last time she showered! Yikes.

However, it appears that my destiny as an unkempt mom is not to speak to teenagers, but to appear in actual photographs of a college journalism student's exhibition. True story. The girls and I were on campus this morning admiring the clock tower while we waited for Jeremy to finish teaching his class. I was in full dishevelment mode, and the girls weren't looking too cute, either, on account of we left the house in a hurry early in the morning.

Imagine my joy when we were approached by a young female student with a camera. She explained that she was a photojournalism student doing a project on the theme "Women at Different Ages" and would we mind if she took some pictures of us?

So she took a dozen or so pictures of us three girls gazing up at the clock tower and then went on her way. I kind of hope none of them turn out so that nobody besides her ever has to see them.

Then again, maybe she was a scout for a high school gymnasium speaker program on teen pregnancy...

13 comments:

The Ensign's said...

man.... that sounds like hell if you don't mind me saying so!
I think with nights like that I might be tempted to turn my bed into a family bed. If it will just keep them asleep.
Good luck with that!!!!

Liz Johnson said...

We should create a nation-wide non-profit organization to prevent teen pregnancy via example. If it weren't non-profit, we'd totally be gazillionaires.

My toddler is a way worse sleeper than my infant. I never saw that coming. It's really not fair. I can't imagine what I would do if I had both of them waking me up all night. I congratulate you for having two children that are still alive!

Fromagette said...

Please tell me it won't get worse for me! I'm already trying to survive on 5-6 hours of broken sleep a night and my poor family is suffering for it. If Anna started to get up more at night, I don't know what I'd do.

Kristen said...

Has Miriam always slept poorly at night, or is this a new experience? (Just wondering if I'll be going through this hell when we have another baby)

Jeanerbee said...

Oh Bridge, I feel for you! I'm a little nervous that the exact scenario you just described is going to end up being me very soon... what is up with the "older" children waking up when they aren't supposed to??? Eli was sleeping well until a couple weeks ago... now he's waking up around 4-5am every morning and won't go back to sleep without me... fine if he's the only kid but not so fine now that I have another one to feed at night etc... we'll see how it goes!

Bridget said...

This is definitely a new thing. Miriam has always gotten up earlier in the morning than she should (we're working on that), but now she says she has bad dreams, so she comes and gets me in the middle of the night. What can I say to that? Last night she woke up at 4.30am with a bad dream, so I took her back to her room. She asked me to tell her a story about "a girl named MéMé who went to sleep and didn't have any bad dreams." So I really don't think she's making it up. I hope it's just one of those stages. A very short-lived stage.

Jill said...

Wow Bridget, and I was thinking I had a bad night last night. I put Sarah to be three times, and Ryan at least two... sometimes they all run together so I'm not always sure. Sarah's reason is teething and it seems Ryan is having bad dreams too. I was feeling pretty sorry for myself this morning, but I'm pretty sure you have me beat!

Matt said...

This is not what I want to hear. I was hoping that the infant stage of waking up at night was the climax of my sleep deprivation. I hope your sleeping situation gets better.

Jeremy Palmer said...

It doesn't help that Jeremy has pneumonia and is a worthless lump of flesh. Sorry Bridget.

Sharon and Spencer said...

I had a night like that the other night! Thank goodness the kids prefer Spencer over me at night. I was going to ask what Jeremy was doing, but I guess pneumonia is a good excuse! Funny about the pictures taken of you on campus. Even at your worst, you and your girls are so naturally beautiful! I just love reading your blog-you make the most mundane things so interesting!

Britney said...

This post makes your NaBloPoMo dedication all the more impressive. :)

Bridget said...

Britney - it's amazing the things you can get done when you're awake from 3 - 4.30 in the morning. So that leaves lots of time for blogging later in the day :).

Nattie said...

I actually remember thinking, "Huh, Magdalena's only 6 weeks old?" Anyway...I'm too tired myself to actually look into the subject...Good luck!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails