Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Voting in Tucson

We voted at our local nondescript neighborhood church building. Don't they do voting at schools anymore? Or is it too dangerous to have hordes of random adults (albeit registered voters) passing through an elementary school these days?


Before you get all excited, like Jeremy did, realize that the bottom half of this sign is in Spanish, and there will not, in fact, be a 75-pie limit inside the building.

Does it bother me that all the signs at our voting location were in Spanish as well as English? I haven't decided yet. I'm just trying to remember if the ballot itself was in both languages. I can't quite recall, which doesn't really mean anything since I hardly even notice all the Spanish around here anymore.


We went ahead and took the kids with us. Our strategy was to avoid the lines by going mid-morning, when it was after work had started but before lunch break. And there was no line whatsoever. The precinct workers - almost every one of whom were elderly ladies - told us that at 6am, the line stretched all the way down the sidewalk. The ladies all thought our kids were cute and gave them extra "I Voted" stickers, which could have led to some serious Ben & Jerry's defrauding if we had a scoop shop down here. I wish I could have sent the stickers your way, Jen.

Yesterday evening, we settled in to watch the big map of the USA get colored in red and blue. Miriam was obsessed with it. In fact, every time the news anchors starting talking instead of showing the map, she got upset. Today, our afternoon project will have to be coloring in a map red and blue. And then this election will really be over and maybe NPR can talk about something else for once.

9 comments:

Jill said...

Yes, the ballot was in Spanish as well as English. There was no line when we went at 5pm either. Go figure. The elderly ladies were nice - they kept Ryan entertained while we focused on voting :)

Anonymous said...

Here in Maryland, we had a touch-screen voting machine with a Spanish option. You were smart to go mid-morning. I didn't want to leave work in the middle of the day, so Scott and I got in line a little before 7 AM...the whole process took an hour and a half!

Hannah

Alyson P. said...

Our polling place was an elementary school. My SIL voted at the library. I guess it's just where ever they can find the room. We had seperate ballots in Spanish that you could request. I wonder what other languages the ballot was printed in. I went at 10:30, thinking the same thing as you. I had to wait an hour and 45 min. When I left there was no line. Go figure.

Camille said...

I have taken a break from NPR the last few days (okay, maybe weeks) after I couldn't get any more political commentary into my system. But I still can't bring myself to listen to the Diane Rehm show--her voice makes me cringe!

jane said...

um, I'm sorry, but I have to ask, why would it bother you to have the signs in Spanish as well as English?

Bridget said...

Jane, don't be sorry.

If I were to be bothered, it would be because of all things, a voter's ballot is something that probably should not have to be translated into a language other than English.

Alternatively, I could be bothered because sometimes, it's just a pain to sift through all the Spanish on official forms just to get to the English. Or be handed Spanish-only registration forms at doctor's offices, etc.

But like I said, I'm not sure I am bothered.

Hareega said...

Jane, I am bothered. Anyone who has the right to vote should be a US citizen, and to be a US citizen you should be fluent in English.

I would mind using Spanish in other signs/ads/hotlines....etc, I actually encourage it, but not with voting booths.

Nancy Heiss said...

I'm not bothered by the sign. I find it hilarious--75 pie limit! What? No fair!

Anyway...

Kristen said...

You never can have too many pies on Election Day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails