Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Snot nose, and my worst motherhood moments

I came home from the grocery store today, looked in the mirror, and realized that I had a clump of dried, crusted-on baby snot on the end of my nose. It's a shame, too, because I had actually put a little thought into my appearance before I left the house. That is to say, I put on a sweater over my shirt, which was stained with spit-up and additional globules of infant boogers. Magdalena had her shots yesterday and so she's been a little goopy-nosed and clingy today. I spent a lot of time holding her in close proximity to my face, which explains how the snot that was not my own got on my nose.

Also today, standing in line at JC Penney (before I had dried baby snot on my nose) (at least I think so), the grandma lady behind us was commenting how cute my girls are. She asked Miriam about her baby sister and to my complete shock and surprise, Miriam answered her. Miriam almost never talks to grown-ups she knows, much less complete strangers. What was even more unsettling was what she chose to tell this stranger: "Yesterday, baby sister fell off the bed."

Well, it wasn't yesterday - to Miriam, anything that happened before the last period of sleep (be it nighttime or a nap) is "yesterday" - but it did happen. It was about two months ago and it was one of those things that just happened and I still feel terribly guilty about it. The grandma lady was very nice about hearing this strange confession from a 3-year-old and told me about a time back in the day when her own baby fell off the bed at about the same age. The way she talked about it, I could tell she still felt bad about it.

So far, that's been my worst motherhood moment with Magdalena, allowing the circumstance to occur that she could fall off the bed. With Miriam, it was the time when I bit her in the head. Yes, you read that correctly. She slept in our bed for most of her first year and one morning, very early, I was having an extremely vivid, realistic dream that there was a small monster right next to me. I must have been in very deep sleep (at least that's my excuse) because when the monster moved and startled me, I woke up, but not quite enough to realize that it was my daughter and not a monster in my bed. And then I bit her on the head. It was as bizarre an experience as it sounds.

So there you have it. My worst mothering moments. What are yours?

Also, have you ever gone to the store with baby snot on your nose?

16 comments:

Crys said...

One night during a very vivid nightmare I dreamed I was being attacked and reached over and poked Jason very hard in the eye. Of course this made him grab me adding to my paranoia in my dream. There was quite a bit of screaming until we both full woke up. Jason, "Crystal why did you poke me. Ouch my eye, my eye. You almost poked it out."
Crystal "Let go of me creep. Ahhhh, ahhh, save me, save me. Help, help, fire." I'm sure our neighbors thought we were nuts.

Amanda said...

That is the funniest story I have ever read! I can't even type because I am so teary eyed! Christina should be warned about the midnight madness before she agrees to any sleepovers.

Sharalea said...

My 4 month old fell off of a couch when I was sitting RIGHT beside him at SOMEONE ELSE's home.
**embarassing** and PITIFUL. I felt terrible!

Fromagette said...

Anna fell of the bed when she was about 4 months old, and yes, I also feel horrible about it. But worse than that was the time when she was a month old and I was carrying her in the sling, tripped and fell down the stairs and landed right on top of her. Of course, that was really an accident, one that I could not control, but I was in tears thinking about for weeks.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

After 32 years I still cringe at the thought of our oldest baby going off the bed head first, more than once. You see, he was a creeper, even as a tiny two-month old. He often slept on our bed (because his bed was a cardboard box) and when he woke up, he was fidgety, which meant he gradually migrated around the bed. We always stacked pillows around him when putting him down, but a couple times he went over the edge. You'd think we would have learned after the first time it happened.

Liz Johnson said...

Nathan fell off a pile of laundry that I put him on in a fit of rage that was aimed towards my toddler. He was less than 2 weeks old. Why I didn't realize that was dangerous, I have no idea. I blame sleep deprivation. Please don't call the cops.

Jeanerbee said...

When Eli was four months-ish I was playing with him... dipping him backwards and pulling him back up - it made him laugh. Then I dipped him too far and he flipped around and so as not to dislocate his arms I let go and he fell on his face. I felt terrible. The worst was this summer when he fell down our stairs while I was standing RIGHT. NEXT. TO HIM! I was too big and pregnant to catch him fast enough. That was the worst. I haven't done anything to Owen yet.

Teresa Jane said...

Mom, creeper is the word we use nowadays for a big CREEP! Like a creepy stalker guy or something!

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Oh really?? Guess I'm just an old fuddy-duddy. How's them new thongs holding up?

Susanne said...

LOL @ Suzanne asking about the thongs...ha, ha, ha! :-D


These comments are cracking me up! OMW, Jeanerbee!!! Dropped him on the face? HA!!! I am seriously laughing ... it's late here.

Loved that Bridget bit Miriam in the head. Sorry! It's just a cute visual to me.

Thanks for the laugh before I go to bed.

Giggling I go . . . night all!

justin and jess said...

Hi Palmers! We got your link from the recent addition of the Buehler bulletin. Your blog is great! I have been reading a lot of your old posts and I just love them. I seriously started laughing out loud by myself when I read that you bit Miriam in the head. That is truly classic.

Shannan said...

I have so many "dropped on their head, dropped off the bed, fell down the stairs stories" that I won't bore you. But I will tell you this one (in hopely a condensed version).

Blake, my middle child and the most dramatic, decided we should play a game where I playfully push him and he falls to the ground in a very exagerrated fashion. Seriously, I would just tap him, and he would compose a fall that put any stuntman to shame. Fast forward a few days later, we do to his 3 yr old checkup at the doctor and the doctor is talking to him about his life and then blake says, "And my Mom pushes me down all the time and I fall hard!!" Keep in mind that this boy is so rough and tumble that he has bruises and cuts all up and down himself. I...seriously...died when he said that. I think I turned the deepest shade of red and crimson ever. I think I fumbled a pitiful explanation when the doctor turned to me, but luckily I guess he felt I was still a fit mother.

Oh, and I've had dried baby snot on my cheek all afternoon before realizing it. I think it happened recently too.

See- doesn't this blogging community make you feel so much better??

Shannan said...

I just reread my comment - forgive my spelling, grammatical errors, and redundant phrases. It's late and I'm tired, but not too tired to comment!

Bridget said...

I am SO glad to hear all these stories. I went to bed after posting without checking my email and I had some serious second thoughts about having confessed what I did. For a while I thought that maybe nobody else had ever had such things happen. I am happy to be proven wrong.

Aimee said...

Here is my few-days-late addition to the worst motherhood moments:
Jameson is fast, active and has no concept of gravity. One afternoon I was trying to pack for Vienna and J got out of my room. I continued packing until I realized where he was headed, the stairs. I ran out, but was too late to catch him, but not late enough to miss him crawling head first down the top stair! Luckily he turned sideways so it was more like he was rolling down a hill. Still after ten stairs he was a bit stunned. I picked him up expecting tears, but he just looked at me and smiled. My heart didn't slow down for hours! I was on a roll...
Two days later, I burned the crud out of a pot full of apples and smelled it while I was upstairs. I ran down the stairs with Jameson in tow. I went to move the pot off the burner and Jameson reached out to touch it, but I moved him out of the way (or so I thought). The next day we were driving in the car when he reached up and there along his wrist was a blistered stripe from him touching the edge of the pot. He didn't even cry! He now has a striped scar along his wrist.

chrisandsariah said...

Hi!! my worst at the moment is when I was cutting my month old son's finger nails, he moved (as you said that's my excuse)and I cut his finger, I started crying with him too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails