Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Caveat emptor

Well, it took them a year, but they finally did it: even the ghetto-brand ice cream cartons now contain only 1.5 quarts of product. It all started with Breyer's last March. Now, if you want to purchase more than 1.5 quarts of frozen dessert in one container, you'll have to splurge on one of those huge tubs of rainbow sherbet in the bottom of the freezer case. This is something that Miriam has been begging me to do for some time now, so perhaps it's not such a bad idea. Still, it is a sad day for us consumers who refuse to be blinded by fancy new packaging and filthy corporate lies about consumers demanding smaller ice cream carton sizes. If it had a smaller price tag to go with it, then maybe. Maybe.

I'm sure we all remember the Cadbury Egg conspiracy that was brought to our attention by an alert reader the last time we had this conversation.



Now, whenever I walk down the seasonal aisle at the grocery store, which is currently stocked with Easter goodies, it's all I can do to avoid staring down the Cadbury Eggs with suspicious, narrowed eyes as I pass by. I feel betrayed, somehow.

Betrayed by delicious chocolate surrounding a gooey, soft fondant center. Yum. Maybe I'll be able to get over it sooner than I thought...

Edited to add: You know, while we're on the subject, what is the deal with the new low-calorie soups that are all the rage these days? Last I checked, soup was something I ate to get full, not something to skimp on. It's like someone inventing light bananas, or light garbanzo beans. If I'm only getting 100 calories from a bowl of soup, I'm going to end up eating something else, too, which means that soup isn't a good value anymore. What gives?

11 comments:

Suzanne Bubnash said...

So today's food section had an article about serving sizes in cookbooks--they compared 1930s serving sizes w/ today's in the same cookbook. And they found many recipes whose ingredients had not changed, nor had their amounts, yet the serving sizes now are larger and sometimes twice as big as they were 70 years ago. For example, a brownie recipe that produced 30 brownies then, now produces only 15, and the recipes are identical.

Liz Johnson said...

My store brand ice cream is still a half gallon. I always think of you when I pass by (and/or buy) it.

Laura said...

I had no idea that Cadbury eggs got smaller. Usually I am only able to eat one and then feel a little sick because of the intense sweetness. Last Easter I did find that I was able to eat one and feel fine. It is all coming together. Yes, it now all makes perfect sense.

Mikael said...

I love conan (however you spell it)! He is my fave. Everything is getting smaller in this world, except people. Maybe that is why Cadbury was trying to cover it "we havent' gotten smaller, you have gotten bigger" so funny!!!

Chris said...

I never really believe serving sizes.
Every time we have brownies for just us at home, I can never bring myself to cut them into more than 6 pieces. It just seems like I am only fooling myself if I act like I am not going to eat half of the pan that evening anyway.

Amanda said...

We started buying BlueBell ice cream, which boasts that it hasn't shrunk it's carton size (but it costs more). Also, I found out that there's going to be a fourth Eugenides book due out in 2010 (which when I first looked at it seemed really far away, then I realized that it's just next year.)

Kristi said...

I think Cadbury Eggs are the best food/candy on the planet. I was eating one today and was wondering if it was smaller. Thanks for clearing that up. I think it's a conspiracy! They should make up for the smaller size by selling them all year. =)

JackJen said...

Oh, man...I hope Cadbury eggs shrink until they are no longer in existence. Ewwww. Too sweet for me.

My store brand has just now gone down to 1.75 qt. It makes me want to swear.

Camille said...

Amen on the soup comment! It's already a healthy meal, why try to ruin a good thing?

christi and clifton said...

When I read your post (like Amanda) I thought of Bluebell. You really have to wait for a sale, but it is one of the best icecreams around. We love it.

Britney said...

This whole Cadbury egg fiasco is troubling to me.

I mean, what's next? I certainly hope not my beloved Snickers ice cream bars! If they were to get any smaller, I just don't know what I'd do... :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails