Monday, April 06, 2009

Sabino Canyon Sunset Run

I inherited the strange trait - I think from my dad - of involving myself in athletic events that I am not necessarily prepared for. Then I do them, and I do fine, but it all would have been easier and more fun if I had actually trained for them. See, for example, the 15-kilometer Columbia Classic Moonlight Run I did three years in a row, without ever training for it. Brilliant.

And then yesterday, I did the Sabino Canyon Sunset Run, all 7.4 miles of it, without having run more than 4 miles at a time on any given day in the last several years.

I guess I just don't have the patience for true long-distance running anymore. Or maybe Miriam and Magdalena don't, since they always have to come with me. It makes me sad, too, because 7 miles used to be no big deal for me.

But that's how I knew I could do it, last night in the canyon. I knew my body would remember how to run more than 4 miles at once, because it used to do it all the time, ten years ago.

That said, I was so very excited for this run. I haven't done any kind of race or run since having kids, so I was really looking forward to a gorgeous run at sunset in a beautiful canyon with hundreds of other people.


Here I am at the starting line with Miriam. She and Magdalena and Jeremy got to play while I ran. The course was a 7.4-mile out-and-back, with gently rolling hills turning into a very steep uphill for the last 1.75 miles out.


This was the setup for the girls to watch for me about 100 meters before the finish line. I didn't really notice them there as I approached until I heard Miriam's little voice saying "Go, Mama!" So encouraging! I could have used the help way back on the huge hill.


This is not me. This is the lady behind me. Jeremy got all set up to take a picture but since it was getting dark, the camera didn't actually take the picture until I had already passed. Oh well. Just take my word for it - I finished.

Even though I wasn't as prepared as I should have been for this run, and even though it almost killed me, I still really enjoyed it. Thanks for telling me about this race, Camille!

7 comments:

Kitty Crazy! said...

Congratulations on completing the race, Bridget! That's amazing and something you should be proud of. Hopefully the running in Idaho helped you train a little.

Eevi said...

Nice job running the race:) It looks like a fun one. Maybe next year, I'll try it out!

sarah said...

Nice job! that's really cool! maybe little meme will be inspired to be a runner from watching it!

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Way to go beamer81!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations!

Britney said...

Great job on the run. It must've been gorgeous racing at sunset in the canyon. Tucson's not so bad, afterall?

Kristen said...

I am so happy you got to do this.

The first time I ran the Columbia Classic 15k, I trained with a co-worker. The next time (a year or two later?) I remembered how easy it was, and just signed up and ran. I guess I didn't really factor in the fact that I had trained for several months before the first time, because it was much harder without the preparation.

Anyway, good job for doing something that was all about YOU!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails