Saturday, June 20, 2009

Adios

So much to say, not the least of which is goodbye to Tucson.

We pulled out of town Thursday morning. As we drove through the city for the last time, Miriam started saying goodbye to all her little landmarks. Goodbye, shoe store! Goodbye, Fry's! Goodbye, Lowe's and Home Despot!

Those are the things she will miss. Here are some of ours:

-the River Walk/River Path/Rillito Wash. We never really figured out what it was called, but it was awesome. We loved running, walking, and biking on that path.

-the Brandi Fenton park and splash pad. What a fun place. It had two playgrounds (one big, one little) for Miriam to choose between, and a splash pad for the hot months. The best part about this park is that there are no swings. I really don't like swings. Too high-maintenance for a playground activity.

-the farm. Now that we're gone and I don't have to consider internet stalkers figuring out our exact address, I can say that we lived right across from the U of A farm. It was so nice to have a little less humanity in the area, and also to go visit the animals on lazy Sunday afternoons.

-the library. Tucson had a good system going, with all the branches in the city acting as one when it came to inter-library loan.

-people. More than I expected, really. We kind of thought all our friends moved away about a year before we left, but we ended up getting to know more people better. Too bad we had to move away from them so soon.

As for the things we don't miss, you know what? I'm not going to list them. I sometimes get accused of being a Tucson-hater, and I'm really not. On the balance, there were more things that I didn't like than I did, but that doesn't mean I hated every minute and I couldn't wait to bust out of there.

Or so I tell myself, now that I'm gone. Ha ha ha.

We're in Provo now. More to come on the road trip and the return to Happy Valley (and hopefully an interim blog redesign, too). Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

WOOHOO!! On to the next phase!

So... are you keeping this blog address? Or moving to a new one?

Mikael said...

I will miss you in Tuscon! But can't wait for the next.. and ya, what is the new blog address?

The Ensign's said...

I think Chad probably shed a tear as you guys were driving away. Okay we probably all did!
I'm excited for you guys though and I think I'm probably the same way when it comes to Tucson. Every once is awhile I wonder if I'm just one of those "the grass is greener on the other side" type of people. Maybe Tucson's not as bad as I make it out to be. However, I still believe there's got to be greener grass some place else.
Good luck you guys and we already miss you!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the list of your favorite places. We are still trying to figure out things to do in the area.

Jill said...

You know, when we left Tucson, we didn't really get into saying goodbye since we knew we'd be back in a few months. I guess I should have realized you would be gone when we did come back; and said an appropriate goodbye along with that tupperware of random items. You will be missed (and Ryan will miss Meme too - already does)!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails