Thursday, June 25, 2009

The longest day of the year


Do you always watch for the longest day of the year and then miss it? I always watch for the longest day of the year and then miss it.

Apparently, it was on Sunday.

It stays light until almost 10pm here in Provo. We stayed the night in St. George to break up our road trip and even though it was 9 o'clock when we rolled into town, there were still kids out riding bikes and playing in yards in the twilight. It brought back a lot of memories of childhood summers, where all us neighbor kids stayed out until it was completely dark, which I seem to remember as being close to 10 o'clock.

That feeling of having endless hours of play ahead of you even after dinner is over is so nostalgic to me. It's amazed me each night we've been here, playing outside or going for a run and thinking it's light enough to be 7.30 when it's actually 9.30. Then the kids crash and you have to put them on the expedited bedtime routine, but it's still fun.

All right, I'll come out and say it - I had forgotten that I love summertime when it's not 100+ degrees outside, and where the sun being out so late is a blessing instead of a hot nuisance. It's nice to be able to enjoy it for the first time in a long time.

9 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

I actually look forward to it just so that it can be over. I crave Autumn for 9 months of the year.

Cathy said...

I didn't know that any one day was longer than another. I thought they were each 24 hours, lol. Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Seriously, though, I enjoy it too, so much, in fact, that dh & I married on one of "the longest days" of the year a decade ago - 6/20.

Brittany Cornett said...

I realized that it was the longest day of the year when some hateful birds chirped loudly outside my window and I looked at my clock and saw that it was 4:30 am.

Scotty P said...

Whoa. I just read that book and watched the movie last week. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Amanda said...

I knew it must be sometime around now, what with it being light at some unspeakable hour (as Brittany pointed out). My mom always wondered what it was about Provorem that made it so it didn't get dark until 10. She missed it when we were in California (maybe she just missed being able to send her kids out into the cul-de-sac until all hours) and would reminiscence every summer. Also, it was still in the upper 90's at 9:00 last night. Just to let you know what you're missing.

Crys said...

It is way to humid for me to be loving summer time right now. I would love to be in Provo!

Lindsay said...

Amen. You should have been in Utah for the past month, like me. The average temp. has been about 70 degrees. I almost pulled out my parka the first few days we were here. :)

The Georges said...

Bridget,
I don't care about the longest day of the year because it has already passed. But, I do care about you being in Provo. Kristen is driving through next Wed. and stopping at my house for a night... or at least dinner. If you guys aren't busy, please come. Otherwise, lets get together soon. Its been too long since I have seen you!
p.s. Am I not worthy to be called a person you grew up with?

Steven said...

Is that an old great gatsby movie? I saw a newer one after I read the book

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails