Tuesday, July 14, 2009

That's what I'm talking about

This showed up on my iGoogle weather feed yesterday and I just had to take a screenshot:
OH YEAH. Looks like we'll be taking it down a few more notches in Ithaca.

Other weather-related observations:

-Until we moved to Provo last month, I had forgotten what weather forecasts were used for. In Tucson, if I ever checked the weather forecast, it was to see if it was going to be 105 degrees or 110 degrees. In Provo, sometimes the temperature from day to day varies as much as 15 degrees! Other variables include clouds, rain, and cool breezes.

-Sometimes, during the summer in Provo, kids have to wear pants. As in, it actually cools down at night here. Fascinating.

-As far as Ithaca goes, every single person to whom we've mentioned the fact that we're moving there tells us two things. First, it is beautiful there. Second, it is extremely cold. Without exception, everyone tells us these things. I'm not going back on my Reverse SAD argument or anything, but I do find it slightly unsettling. I'm glad to have ample warning, though, because the last thing I want to be is that clueless Arizona mom who sends her preschooler out so improperly dressed on a cold day that Miriam has to stay inside for recess time.

I also take comfort in the fact that they mention the beauty first. In other words, it's a beautiful place that also happens to be cold. Not a cold place where you can find consolation in the beauty.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying my 85 degrees. How hot is it where you are?

14 comments:

EmmySue said...

Chandler, AZ. 116 degrees... to hot to leave the A/C. Very jealous of you!

JackJen said...

God's country is preparing to welcome you with open arms.

Amanda said...

This weather post is good timing. Tyler and I were just talking about how we're getting itchy for a good monsoon, the kind where the rain is so fierce, all you can do is stare at it in disbelief. But no, 101˚ and clear.

Sharalea said...

They told us the same thing before we moved here (Wisconsin) last month. "It is BEAUTIFUL...but the winters are TERRIBLE."

I can attest to the beauty...still unsure about the pending winter...

Right now in Central WI?
A happy 71 degrees.

Shannan said...

2:40 in the afternoon in Western Oregon - a balmy 72 degrees. It's been in the low 60's the past few days. I had to dig the kid's jeans out of winter storage. But I like cold so I'm not complaining.

Jennifer said...

Orange County, CA: 85 degrees. :)

Jerry said...

I really miss Utah summer. It's been between 95-100 here (Georgia), the humidity is insane! I would rather have the dry 105-115 of the Southwest (I used to live in Nevada, and I think I would prefer that) Even when it rains here it doesn't cool down at all, it actually gets hotter because the humidity goes up.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

As Shannan mentioned, we're having great weather up here in the Pac NW. I loved Sunday & Monday's cold summer days and today was not bad at 75. But we're heading into 100 degree weather in S. Cal tomorrow--not looking forward to that.

Lindsay said...

Atleast you had some transition time in Provo, so you wouldn't freeze going from Tucson to Ithaca. :)

Nancy said...

So funny! We must just be on the same page. :) I was even going to mention that most of the schools we're applying to are in NY and that I'm not sure how I feel about that because everyone I've talked to says the weather there is horrible...in the winter. I guess I can have your opinion of that in a few months. :)

Liz Johnson said...

In Michigan it has been high 70's and low 80's since May. IT IS GORGEOUS. The average temperature in July is 82 degrees. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh it almost makes me forget winter!

(and winter is totally doable. freezing, yes, but totally doable.)

Lindsay Gunnell said...

Mmmm. I am in Boston right now and it is a gorgeous 80 degrees and sunny. Hardly any humidity. Got to love the mild summers!

Teresa Jane said...

Is Miriam going to start preschool when you get there? How exciting!

Kristen said...

Obviously I'm a little late here, but it's been over 105 in PORTLAND this week. WHAT?!?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails