Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Autumn in Ithaca

Autumn is my favorite season. I had forgotten about it since Tucson doesn't really have autumn. We went to a pumpkin patch last year the day before Halloween and it was 95 degrees outside. Beyond the pumpkin patch stretched miles and miles of brown, scrubby hills. All the vendors were selling frozen lemonade, not hot cider. I think that was the beginning of the end for Tucson and me.

Now, autumn in Ithaca, in pictures:

This picture is hanging in the window of a pizza place on The Commons. Take a closer look:

In case that isn't enough evidence for you that we are now in hippie town, check this out:
A composting bin, at a public event (the Apple Festival). I'm used to recycling bins in public areas because I grew up with it. But composting? Wow. Most of the food vendors had signs hanging near their menus that said "Everything you get from me can be composted." Impressive.

This little guy is hanging out at one end of The Commons. I need to find the explanatory plaque or something so I know what the heck he is doing there.

At the Apple Festival, there were a few performances by local belly dancers, some of whom were aged white ladies. My two main competing feelings were 1) embarrassment on the dancers' behalf, and 2) absolute awe of their skills and bravery. I think the latter feeling eventually won out.


These are the leaves we collected on a walk in the forest today.

Autumn, I've missed you. It's good to have you back again.

12 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

Um, I think I've decided that I want to live in Ithaca. I have loved every single thing you've said about it.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

That horse is scary--modern art run amok I guess.

There was a company picnic I read about that was held in PDX this summer. Everything leftover was recycled or composted. Even the plates were a type that could be recycled. All of the food scraps were compostable. When we were in Utah in August we brought back Kristi's empty boxes for recycling because we couldn't find a way to do it there. Are we true Oregonians or what?

Oh yeah--love the fall pictures and am glad you're back in the land of changing seasons!

Laura said...

I love fall back east. It is so pretty. I love mostly how pretty it gets when the trees turn colors.

Fromagette said...

Bridget, you need to be careful or you just might find me knocking on your door asking if I can stay with you. It sounds a lot like Seattle, fortunately, so I think I'll stay here for the time being. It's now law here that you recycle your food scraps and they pick them up every week in our yard waste bins. Hurrah for Hippies!

Britney said...

I, too, call fall my favorite season. Not sure if it's the association with back to school, or the crisp, fresh air that reminds me of the Northwest. It's just good.

Glad you are enjoying it this year.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful!

Susanne said...

Love the dancer! :-)

Nancy said...

Fall. :)

Crys said...

So my question is how is the pizza at that place? Also can you breastfeed in there :)

Teresa Jane said...

Bridget, about the horse picture- just think, "What is that? That freaky thang! It's a naked mole rat!"

Eevi said...

Two Words: SO jealous!

Lilianne said...

So beautiful! I do love the changing leaves and the crispy leaves as I walk along the sidewalk. Glad you're loving it! Fall really is the prettiest time of the year! Not too cold, not too hot - just perfect with a blend of lovely colors!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails