Wednesday, September 02, 2009

I'm a big girl now...or not

Yesterday I blogged about being such a big girl in our new grown-up, real-job world. One of the responsibilities of living in the real world is having a daughter go to preschool for the first time. That's when you know you've entered grown-up-dom: when your kids are doing things that you remember doing yourself.

The in-home teacher visit was yesterday. I'd had a pretty bad night of sleep. I was woken up during the night once by Miriam, once by Jeremy, and twice by Magdalena. Still, I was determined to put on a classy, responsible show for the preschool teachers so they would know that I was fully capable of being a grown-up and sending my daughter to their school.

They came over, we chatted, Miriam showed them her room and some favorite books and toys, and then I dazzled them by asking a few thoughtful questions that I'd researched ahead of time. Everything went great. After they left, I smugly congratulated myself on being such a with-it parent.

Then I looked down and realized that I had put on my shirt inside-out and had been wearing it that way during the whole visit.

So much for being a grown-up.

10 comments:

JackJen said...

Wow. An in-home visit. That's very impressive!

I once had a job interview in Provo that I walked to one August with my backpack on....and didn't realize until AFTER the interview that I had terrible sweat marks where my backpack straps had been.

Yeah. Classy.

Liz Johnson said...

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Yeah, I don't know if I'll ever be officially "grown-up." I still sometimes wonder if I should be trusted with my own wellbeing, let alone that of another human being (or two).

Eevi said...

If I didn't know you so well, I would think that you just make up some of these stories because they are just so good.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Yeah, it's like feeling you're looking cool & finding you have a piece of TP stuck on the back of your pants.

The Ensign's said...

Whahahahaha!!! That's great.

Susanne said...

Ha, ha .. oops! I can't believe Miriam is ready for preschool. Is she excited? :)

Alli E. said...

Funny story!

Anonymous said...

I once spent the better part of an afternoon wearing mismatched shoes--in public. It took me some time to understand why strangers kept smiling at me.

Hannah

Britney said...

Maybe they didn't notice??

I've never worn my shirt inside out, I don't think. But, for some reason, I'm challenged at remembering to zip up my pants and skirts.

Kat Clark said...

Love this story. Thanks for sharing your humiliation for us to enjoy. I have moments like this weekly. It's so funny!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails