Monday, November 30, 2009

A chance for a new life, bypassed

I had the chance to become the mistress of a trucker today, but I let it pass me by.

We were driving from DC to Ithaca (it ended up taking us a smooth 6.5 hours). After a few hours, we picked up some food at a Pizza Hut embedded in a Pilot truck stop somewhere near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. Classy, I know, but it was our one pit stop so we were stuck with what was available. When we were about to get in the car to leave, I noticed that the sandwich we bought had a time stamp on it, directing us to "request a new product if received after 10:36 AM," which I was pretty sure it was.

All of this is the long way of telling you that I walked back into the truck stop by myself and had to ask someone standing in line in front of me what time it was. The person who I happened to ask, happened to be a trucker. And he took my casual query about the time to be an invitation to a conversation.

He was from Chattanooga, Tennessee, and the time zone is different there, and he was headed to Boston, blah blah blah. I put on my polite smile until I could break away to pick up my sandwich, because our conversation had at least established that it was, in fact, past 10:36 AM, the time difference in Chattanooga notwithstanding. As I was waiting for the sandwich at a separate counter, the trucker walked past me out the door but then turned around and asked me if I wanted to go to Boston with him.

Honestly, I thought he was joking, so I just kind of laughed and avoided making any further eye contact. Then he repeated the offer in a more persuasive tone and said, "are you sure?" At that point I looked right at him and said "uuhhhh, no." He replied, "well, you have a nice smile," and then left.

When I got back out to the car and was reunited with my husband and two kids, I told Jeremy how I almost left him for a trucker at a pit stop in Gettysburg, PA. It took a lot of deliberating, but I think I'll stay with Jeremy for at least another eight years. As long as he tells me I have a nice smile a little more often.

9 comments:

Jeremy Palmer said...

Too bad for me. I still had to pay the guy.

Liz Johnson said...

HAHAHAHAHA Jeremy that. is. AWESOME.

Aimee said...

That is a hilarious story. Seriously, thanks for the chuckle!

Susanne said...

Chattanooga is in another time zone? Hmmm. Didn't know that.

Yeah, those southern guys are always trying to pick up girls with friendly smiles. Hehehehe.

Cute story!

Bridget said...

Well, it wasn't clear exactly. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention but it was something about Chattanooga and another town in Tennessee being in different time zones from each other. So maybe Chattanooga is in Eastern but some other town close by is in Central? Why oh why didn't I listen more carefully?

Jeremy, VERY FUNNY.

Amanda said...

At least you know you've still got it Bridget.

Mikael said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO funny!!!!!

Lilianne said...

SICK! When I lived in DC and we were packing to move to Tucson, I was down on the street marking off space for our moving van. The garbage man, a black guy with some sweet corn rolls, asked me if I'd like to go out on a date. When I told him I was happily married, he said, "Well, he can come with us if he wants." Um, tempting - but, I don't think so. I love that the ticker was that you had a nice smile! So funny! Glad you decided to stay with Jeremy! :-)

Matthew said...

That's a very precise timing on sandwich eatability...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails