Saturday, November 07, 2009

Disaster averted

I want you to imagine, as I did, all the things that could go wrong with the following scenario, which took place on Thursday:

I needed to have my blood drawn at the local laboratory in preparation for a doctor appointment next week. I had been fasting for 12 hours as instructed. I also had my kids with me. And I had to walk to the lab, with the kids. And it was cold outside. And both girls had been sick in previous days so they were a bit stir-crazy from being cooped up inside, and were liable to spontaneously implode into mischief upon going out in public.


I know, what could possibly go wrong, right? Since it's NaBloPoMo and all, even as I dreaded going out and fulfilling this obligation and navigating all its proverbial land mines, at the very least I figured I'd get a blog post out of it. And I did, as you see, but it's not the post I thought it would be.

Because nothing went wrong. Nothing.

I was hungry and weak from not eating (I'm new to fasting, remember?), but I loaded the girls in the jogger and headed out to the lab. Luckily, it's not very far away. It was cold, but the sun came out while we were walking and it ended up being rather gorgeous. I went into the lab and was registered without too much delay.  In fact, as I dealt with the paperwork, the very nice receptionist kept my kids busy with stickers and questions about Halloween.

We sat in the waiting room and although Magdalena did run a little wild, her behavior apparently stayed on this side of the adorableness line.

Before too long, it was my turn to go back. This was the part where I was sure things would take a turn for the worse. A technician drawing blood from me, possibly having to do so multiple times over half an hour, trying different veins, all while I held Magdalena and kept an eye on Miriam? I could feel the chaos coming on.

That's why, when we walked into the room with the technician, I apologized for bringing my kids with me. He said it was no problem, not even in a snarky or irritated tone or anything. I held Magdalena in my lap, he gave her a stuffed animal to hold, and a nurse kept Miriam busy with (more) stickers. Then, in the biggest miracle of all, he found a vein on the first try and got all the blood he needed in probably less than a minute.

And we were done! It all went off without a hitch. The girls and I snacked on crackers on our walk home.

Later that day, the girls were feeling sick and cranky again, and the sun went behind the clouds and it got even colder outside, but for just long enough that morning, during just the right period of time, in just the right place, helped along by just the right people, everything went fine. And I'm much happier writing this blog post than the one I thought I would be.

7 comments:

Katie said...

Yea! I'm so glad that you had a nice outing when everything went just right. I had a moment like that last night. I had to take Jonah with me to the pharmacy at 5:30 (which if you've ever been to a pharmacy at 5:30pm, it is the worst time to go.) But he just explored a little right where I could see him, and I didn't have to chase after him and loose my place in line, or hold him or anything! It was amazing. They even had my prescription ready and waiting!

Lilianne said...

I love it when things go unexpectedly well. It always adds an extra jump in my step! I'm glad it wasn't the disaster you were anticipating. See, our children can surprise us in very good ways! Way to go, little ladies!

Grace said...

Don't you just love it when they're able to get what they need right off the bat? Glad it went well!

sarah said...

nice. i'm glad it went well. i love it when you post all month, so i have something new to look forward to every day!

Liz Johnson said...

Wow. That is really amazing. Maybe the NaBloPoMo Gods were trying to play a trick on you and stump you for a blog entry, and BOOM - you have one anyways. Suck it, tricky NaBloPoMo Gods!

Suzanne Bubnash said...

My version of what could have been a child-related disaster occurred when we first moved to Idaho w/ our two little boys, ages barely two, and 7 months of age. Our clunker station wagon (the only car we owned) needed a little work so it fell to me to take it down to Sears Auto for what I thought would be a one-hour fix. The two boys went along, and though I might have brought a few crackers along to keep the kids happy, I was ill-prepared for the 5-hour ordeal about to unfold.

For 5 hours we sat in the waiting area. I knew no one to call for a ride home or to take the kids. Even so, the shop kept thinking it would be fixed 'soon' and 'soon' got longer and longer. One of the mechanics stopped in regularly to give me updates (kind of like when a loved one is undergoing surgery) and he obviously had kids AND a heart of gold and brought us snacks to eat, including buying the kids something out of the vending machine.

It took work on my part but was able to keep the kids happy. And the help of that mechanic was a bonus.

Kristen said...

A Christmas Miracle.

I love Liz Johnson's comment!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails