Sunday, November 01, 2009

I should have seen this coming


As I went about getting ready for church this morning, I was a little concerned about the state of NaBloPoMo, even on this very first day. I just didn't have anything to post about.


Then we pulled into the church parking lot - a bit sheepishly, since we were 10 minutes late - and it was strangely and absolutely deserted. There were autumn leaves blowing across the road in front of us like so much fall tumbleweed. The parking lot should have been full of cars, with families piling out of them and walking in to church, but there was only one car there and the person in it kind of looked like they were there by accident.

Jeremy and I sat there in the car dumbfounded for a few minutes, trying to figure out what was going on, and then I remembered: Daylight Savings Time ended last night. Very soon after that understanding came the proverbial moment where you yell "NOOOOOOOOO!!!" in slow motion because I realized, to my horror, that we'd just spent our extra free bonus hour being early for church.

Oh well. We went back home and got ready, some more, mostly because church is already three hours long and we just didn't have it in us to make it four.

In our defense, Arizona does not believe in Daylight Savings Time. The clock stays the same all year round, and I have to admit, it makes a lot of sense. For the last four years, the only notice we've taken of Daylight Savings Time or the end thereof is to shift which set of grandparents we were now in sync with - half the year was the same time zone as the Palmers, half the year was the Walkers. No naptime or bedtime disruptions necessary, thank you very much.

I'm going to see if there's a way I can reclaim our extra hour and put it to better use doing, oh I don't know, ANYTHING ELSE. But being new to all this, I'm not sure - am I allowed to do that? I hope so.

Edited to add: Amanda, Crys, Anna, and Shannan are IN for NaBloPoMo. Liz is out but you should read her blog anyway. No word yet on previous participant Chris. Anyone else?

15 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

Ohhhhhhh that sucks. I spent my extra hour doing the same thing I do every day - watching children. There was no extra sleep or anything. Because apparently children don't believe in Daylight Saving time either. And I'm with them. Blarg.

Bridget said...

Wait, Liz, are you in that unfortunate corner of Indiana that does observe DST?

Susanne said...

Oh sorry you forgot, but I understand why. I, too, think we should just leave the time alone!

Glad you are participating in the blog everyday for a month thing again. :)

JackJen said...

I LOVE falling back....until 3:30 this afternoon when I won't be able to see the hand in front of my face when I go outside. =)

Lindsay said...

I have to agree. I am a fan of Arizona not switching times. :)

Amanda said...

Since moving to Arizona, I've contemplated DST quite a bit, and I don't really get it. I don't get why they don't just chuck the whole system.

Liz Johnson said...

Nope, as of a couple of years ago, all of Indiana observes DST. In fact, that was one of the main talking points of the guy running against our current governor last election - "I will take us off DST!!!!" He almost got elected on that platform, too.

Grace said...

You missed out on that extra hour of sleep? Oh no! And going to church an hour early? I remember when I was a teenager and we forgot to turn our clocks forward in the spring. We walked INTO church just as they were finishing the last hymn. Oops!

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Oh, so sorry you missed out on that extra luxurious hour. I look forward to it every year as a glorious payback for the distress of losing an hour of sleep in the spring. I don't mind DST because I like to be able to work in my garden or hike until 10 p.m. in the summer. We pay in winter when it's dark at 4:30, but then, it's usually too cold and wet to do much outside work anyway.

sarah said...

that sucks! i stayed up late reading a book and realized this morning that i still had an hour left to sleep after my body naturally woke up. it was heaven. and lucky that my cell phone changes time automatically or i would have been an hour late too.

The Johnsons said...

Ha....We did the same thing. Only we were only 2 min. late/58 min. early to church. And we are from Utah and new it was coming. What does that say for us.

Anna said...

I have nothing to say about Daylight Savings Time.

However, Nablopomo is wreaking havoc on my in laws. I signed up, Chris signed up, his brother signed up, his brother's wife signed up, both his sisters signed up, and now we are waiting to see if his 15 year old brother will do it too. (I think he's 15. He's around 15 at least.) The only kid not participating is Nathan who is on a mission. If you get bored you should just peruse the daily Lewis posts.

Craig said...

I would vote for DST all year long, with no changing back and forth. I prefer the later daylight hours. It is depressing to leave work in the dark.

Britney said...

You're not alone. We did the same thing last year, only not on fall back Sunday, it was spring forward, which meant we arrived bewildered just as sacrament meeting was ending.

Unfortunately, I'm still trying to forget how nice 2 hours of church is, not having to wrestle the kids in the pew before sending them off to class.

Craig said...

By the way, I'm "in" for daily blog posts. A big step forward for me as yesterday was my first blog post EVER!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails