Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Thanksgiving post

Let's face it, I'd rather be doing other things than write this post, and you'd rather be doing other things than read it. So I'll be brief.

The big thing I'm excited about at Thanksgiving this year is that I'm in charge of the stuffing, so I get to make it the way I want it. Stuffing is probably my favorite food, so I'm particular about it. I think everyone is particular about it, actually, so you can see how it can turn into a clash of family traditions. The way I was raised, if you put cranberries, sausage, a corn-based product, raisins, or any other abomination in your stuffing, or if it came out of a box, you're doing it wrong. YES, I realize I probably just offended 75% of you.

The only things that belong in stuffing are bread, celery, onions, poultry seasoning, and butter. Also, don't ruin it by actually stuffing it in the turkey.

Who's with me?

Happy Thanksgiving!

9 comments:

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Of course I'm w/ you, & so would be Grandma if she was reading this. Wish I knew if she got the recipe from family or what. I'm always suspicious of stuffing someone else makes. Have even heard of oysters being put in which would make me hurl across the room ruining someone else's holiday table.

Katie said...

100%. That is how much I am with you. Also, we're going to Bryan's grandma's for Thanksgiving this afternoon and I really hope they have goblets and sparkling cider. That is one of my most favorite little things about Thanksgiving. When Bryan and I were freshman we went to his aunt and uncle's house for Thanksgiving. It was very nice, but no sparkling cider. I kind of felt like I was waiting for the real dinner to start even after the whole thing was over. Know what I mean? Maybe I'll smuggle in some sparkling cider and my own goblet just in case.

Amber said...

Me! I'm with you! Except I add vegetable stock and cream of mushroom soup - but it's the same basic idea. And stuffing it in the turkey is the worst idea ever. Although, this year, Jason has convinced me to make an "alternative" stuffing in addition to the traditional one - this one will have sausage and apple. We'll see how it goes, but I'm not really holding out hope.

Jennifer said...

Um, I'm making up a box of turkey flavored Stove Top Stuffing for our dinner...

Liz Johnson said...

I was SO TOTALLY WITH YOU until you mentioned not putting it in the turkey. Although, we make enough that we can stuff an entire 25 lb turkey and still have enough to fit a giant casserole dish. So we do it both ways.

Also, a 25 lb turkey. And sixty rolls. And a giant 13x9 dish of rainbow jello. And 10 lbs of sweet potatoes. And 10 lbs of mashed potatoes. And four pies. For five adults and two small, picky children. My father never does anything half-way. And we're celebrating America, right? Bring on the excess!

Merkley Jiating said...

I'm so offended. Unfollow.

Teresa Jane said...

Bridget, I am also with you. I use Grandma's recipe but I use chicken broth instead of the hot water on the recipe. I also use half dark rye bread and half potato bread. Yummmmm!

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Do you know that Dad confessed this year he doesn't like stuffing? I had no idea. He always eats it. To me it's the highlight of Thanksgiving dinner! He also doesn't eat cranberries w/ turkey (or anything else for that matter) or applesauce w/ pork chops. Chalk it up to different family food traditions.

Fromagette said...

I'm with you! (you forgot the stock, though) I grew up with that kind of stuffing and it is wonderful. That said, my mother-in-law makes fabulous stuffing and it does have sausage, chestnuts, and not enough sage.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails