Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I didn't used to own these things, but now I do


Christmas break was awesome. The four of us got sick immediately upon arrival in Portland and it was the nastiest cold I've had in recent memory. The girls were spared the worst of it but Jeremy and I were ill for two full weeks. It was inconvenient being sick away from home but on the plus side, we burned through my parents' famous medicine stash instead of our own, and also there were people around to help watch our kids. That was nice.

Also over Christmas break, I acquired a few things that I think make me more of a real person than ever. These include a curling iron, a hair dryer, and makeup, AND a case to keep the makeup in. I feel so classy now that I don't have to store my fancy brushes and powders in the same stained toiletries case I bought at Old Navy 12 years ago.


The makeup and case were my Christmas gift from Jeremy. I'm pretty excited about the makeup, even if I have no idea how to use anything besides the mascara and lip gloss. I haven't put on quite the whole ensemble at once yet, but I did put on everything but the eye shadow for the special occasion of my sister getting sealed in the Rexburg temple on New Year's Eve. I felt like such a painted lady when I looked in the mirror but maybe someday I'll get used to it.

It's all part of looking my age, I guess. The hardest part for me about this whole wearing makeup on a regular basis thing is that I no longer look the same 24 hours a day. My face used to look the same whether it was 11 at night or 11 in the morning. No more. And I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. Bad, because it takes effort, but good, because who wants to look the same (i.e., mediocre) all day long?

Not me. Not anymore. At least sometimes, anyway.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

I used to only wear make up on Sundays and I felt like I was playing dress up when I did it. It took a long time of playing around with different things before I found a combination I was comfortable with wearing every day. Also, why were you playing with your make up on what looks like a patio table?

Nancy said...

You know how to wear mascara? You're one up on me.

The only make up I know how to do is stage make up and you'd think street make up wouldn't be that much different...but we're lucky if I even get blush on.

Does chap stick count?

Liz Johnson said...

Ooh, and fancy makeup to boot! I have worn eye shadow off and on and still have no idea what I'm doing.

But I want to see a picture of you all makeup-ed!

The Ensign's said...

Where are the pictures???

Bridget said...

The picture is just a generic one I snagged off Google Image.

I SHOULD do before/after pictures. Then you can tell me if I really do look like a painted lady.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty lazy appearance-wise. For one thing, I do own a (cheap) hairdryer, but I haven't blowdried my hair in years...
I always worry about looking like I wear too much makeup, so lately I've just been wearing mascara, and maybe concealer if I'm feeling ambitious. I do think it's fun to play with makeup sometimes, though, and try out different colors.

Hannah

Brittany Cornett said...

I like to think that there are varying degrees of being dressed up. Level one being pajamas and Level 5 being a painted lady. Sadly I spend most of my days either level 2 or 3 which are respectively workout wear no makeup and regular clothes lip gloss and perhaps face lotion and powder. I reserve mascara for levels 4 and 5.

Mikael@starter home to dream home said...

congrats on the makeup!!! I couldnt go through life without makeup (well, I certainly wouldnt have ever gotten married in my "natural" state!). You need to post a pic of you all decked out, like a before and after!!! haha

B-Rad said...

Talk to Andrea about the make-up thing. She's pretty knowledgeable about it all.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails