Monday, January 11, 2010

My new reality

On our trip back to Ithaca from visiting family out west for Christmas, unlike on our trip there, everything went well. We had to leave the house at the unearthly hour of 3.45 in the morning to catch our flight. Luckily, Magdalena woke up at 2am and wouldn't go back to sleep so I was plenty alert and awake by the time we had to go. It would have been nice to get more sleep, but whatever. I'm still counting that as a positive.

All our flights were on time. We made all of our connections. Magdalena hardly cried and what little fussing she did do on our third flight paled in comparison to the fit the full-blown FIVE-year-old a few seats back was throwing.

And miracle of miracles, the girls slept on our long Denver-Newark leg, which, in another stroke of good luck, wasn't full so we could stretch out. During that flight, as they slept, I actually read a magazine in its entirety.


Now that we're back in Ithaca, this is my new reality:


Am I thrilled with the idea of huge bins of snow clothes being parked semi-permanently by the front door? Not really. But when you use them every time you go outside, there's not really a way around it. Especially since Miriam needs them for preschool - they don't cancel outdoor playtime just because it's cold outside. The teacher did admit to me the other day that if it's less than 15 degrees outside, they consider shortening the play period. I guess I'm glad to know they have some kind of standard.

What's your winter reality? And you people who live in freakishly warm places, you don't have to rub it in that it looks something like this (January last year in Tucson):

7 comments:

Susanne said...

It was 13 degrees this morning when I checked the thermostat around 7:50. That's really cold for NC. I saw where even Miami hit a record low of 35 the other night.

No snow for us though.

Glad you got "back East" safely. Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year's Day with your family.

Nancy said...

Yeah, that's kind of how it is here, but I won't rub that it. Instead I will say that when I lived in Alberta we only ever had school canceled if the diesel buses couldn't run because the diesel had reached its "gel-point." So, like -40 and below. Yuck!

Brittany Cornett said...

At least you get your four seasons right? We are waiting for it to snow on Mt Lemmon so that we can take the kids up there to see some white stuff.

JackJen said...

Have you considered getting a boot tray? They have a lip around the edge, yet still act as a mat of sorts--but they catch all of the water and salt that come in from your boots. Mine is ugly as sin, but it's absolutely invaluable during the winter.

Anna said...

Our worst day in Lincoln, Nebraska was a day last week when the forecast was a high of -5 and a low of -20. We lucked out and our high was actually 0, but still...

And we still have about 2 feet of snow on the ground.

Ahh, Nebraska.

Crys said...

We mounted a coat hanger by thte door for hats (in the summer it holds diaper bags and hats or swim towels) and on the ground have a huge basket for gloves, hats, and scarves. I just use a ratty old towel to put the boots on. Can we say oh so pretty! This week will be rather warm for us, with high twenties, and low thirties. Last week was single degrees and negatives...oh and we got eight inches of snow that won't be melting anytime soon because it is just to dang cold. Dr J of course spent the week saying, this is hardly any snow, I grew up in Utah, and it really isn't that cold, I spent junior high in Wyoming. Talk about annoying :) Big icicles scare me. I always look up before I go to the door.

Liz Johnson said...

HAHAHAHA about Miriam's preschool. I thought Connor's preschool was being hardcore when they canceled playtime for windchills below 25. That is fantastic. Way to go, Ithaca!

My winter reality looks a lot like yours... only I think yours is more severe. We have about two feet of snow outside, but our high temps have been in the 20's lately, which is so abnormally warm for January. I'm just waiting for that six-week period where we don't get out of the single digits. Ah, winter. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails