Thursday, April 22, 2010

Literary heroines who ended up with the wrong man

I touched on this issue briefly in my review of New Moon (the movie), and it got me thinking: what other literary heroines ended up with the wrong man? And yes, that means I'm including Bella Swan on the list.

I decided that to truly qualify as a Literary Heroine Who Ended Up With The Wrong Man, the girl has to have a happy ending according to the book, and I just disagree with it. I mean, nobody would argue that Marie really belonged with Frank in O Pioneers. The book agrees with me on that point so I can't claim she would have been better off with Emil. OF COURSE she would have.

Moving on, in no particular order:

1. Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables. I'm cheating and going by the movie version of this one. My mature self realizes that Gilbert Blythe is the right choice but when I watched that movie growing up I thought Morgan Harris was the better match. I guess I still haven't forgiven Gilbert for pulling Anne's hair when they first met. And Anne could have done so much good as Morgan's wife! I'm just sayin'.

2. Jo March from Little Women. I don't care if they shared the most awkward kiss of all time in the movie version: Jo and Laurie belong together. Period. I think most of humanity agrees with me. Professor Baer is so BORING.

3. I haven't made up my mind completely yet, but if Katniss from The Hunger Games ends up with Gale I might decide she belongs on this list, too.

4. Scarlett O'Hara from Gone With The Wind. She's a tricky one because in the book, she ends up with no one at the end. But she should have ended up with Rhett, a million times over. I know the book and the movie lead us to infer that she reconciles with him, someday, but it would have been nice to see it in print, you know?

5. Gemma Doyle from whatever those terrible books were called. I thought the Indian boy was a bad match for her, considering she seemed interested in him only because he was the unconventional choice.

6. Miriam Willard from Calico Captive. I will always have a soft spot for Pierre Laroche. I think Miriam and he would have made a smashing couple and Phineas would never have been the wiser seeing as he was a prisoner of war somewhere or whatever. Who's with me?

7. Tess from Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Not that I want her to marry her seducer or anything but really, Angel Clare is marginally the more terrible choice. I think a reformed Alec beats snotty, self-righteous Angel any day.

Who did I miss? And who did I get completely wrong?

18 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

You are SO DEAD ON for Jo March.

Is it sad that I haven't read any of the others? Yes? Oops.

Brittany Cornett said...

I have always felt like Juliet wasted her life on Romeo. I mean he gets married and then kills her cousin? Plus she comes up with this great plan so that they can be together again and he kills himself. Annoying.

Lilianne said...

I'm totally with you with Katniss. I hope, hope, hope she doesn't end up with Gale!! Only time will tell. Nice list!

RasunBaby said...

I totally agree with all of the above except for Gil. I have always loved Gil! Jo March, I lost respect for you when you married Baer.
And I love Peeta!!

I feel kind of mixed on this one but I have always felt a little betrayed by Mr. Rochester. Why did he keep his crazy wife in the attic?? Did he really think no one would find her there?
And on the flip side, I've always been disappointed in Pip for liking Estella.

Eevi said...

I totally agree on Jo March. And Scarlett O'Hara's loneliness is depressing. DId you know that there is another author who wrote "Scartlett" as a sequal for Gone with the Wind? I read it and liked it. Not sure how to feel about two different authors writing about the same story, but still a good book.

Crys said...

I'm totally anti Gale as well....but I guess if she built him up in the next book...well maybe. Ok I'm lying, I'm so pulling for Peeta. I'm in love with him myself :) I really love this book. Everywhere I go I'm playing it up. Is it weird I want it to reach Twighlight status...mainly because I want a good movie! Anyway here here to Jo!!!! I can't even read that book or watch the movie...it just makes me feel sick :)

justin and jess said...

I have to say I agree with most, but i totally disagree with Gilbert Blythe. I think he and Anne are perfect and I have always loved them together in the movies, and the books. And I am on the fence about Gale and Peeta. I think they are both good for Katniss, for totally different reasons.

Lark said...

I actually love Anne and Gilbert together and think Morgan Harris was too old or something...Morgan and Anne never felt right to me.
Anywho, totally agree with your others...if Katniss doesn't pick Peeta I will be very angry.
I recently read a stupid novel called "When you're feeling blue" (don't read it) and they all ended up with the wrong people BIG TIME. I liked the book until the author got it all wrong in the end. Oh well.
This is a fun list and fun topic to think about!

Fromagette said...

Like others, I'm going to have to disagree about Anne and Gilbert. But then I HATED the movies and LOVED the books. (Though it is really "Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story" that really makes me dislike the series.)

I'm mixed on Jo. Anyone who could like Amy enough to marry her can't be very good for anyone.

Katie said...

I love this post. Totally disagree about Anne and Gilbert. But you are right on about Jo.

Am I feeling Deja vu? I swear you've already posted this.

Bridget said...

OK, I give up on Anne Shirley. Sheesh. I'll have to pay better attention next time I watch the movie.

Nicole and Justin said...

So funny - I just did a post about my favorite books and you just listed lots of them...I grew up in the Middle East and occasionally read your blog off my aunt Allison's:)
Agree: Bella - completely agree, Jo and Laurie were meant to be, still bugged on that
Disagree - Anne and Gilbert - Have you read House of Dreams?, and I'm sorry I totally am rooting for Gale, he's more handsome in my mind.

Nicole and Justin said...

PS Not that handsome is the only thing, but they grew up together, he knows her inside and out.

Craig said...

Elizabeth should have married Mr. Collins, not Mr. Darcy. :-)
Am I the only male on this thread?
Okay, okay, I'm leaving.

Susanne said...

I always had a crush on Gilbert. I'm so happy he and Anne ended up together!

Teresa Jane said...

Bridget, of course I agree with you about Gilbert... blah! Remember that scene where he is clapping for her and he has that yucky smile and dirt-stache? Eew. And I also agree about Jo and Laurie. The German professor guy bugged. Before I clicked the link to continue reading, I was planning on mentioning Miriam in Calico Captive. Then I saw that you were one step ahead of me. I hate that she chooses Phineas! What a waste.

Jennifer said...

Ok, so now that I've read it, I totally agree with you about Scarlett and Rhett. I didn't know the story while reading it, but I knew it had a sad ending, and I'd read what you wrote here so I kind of knew the ending (which I am glad about--otherwise I would have been crushed when Rhett leaves). If one of them had just gotten over themselves, they wouldn't have ended the book alone to begin with.

Becky said...

Okay, I missed this great post! So maybe you won't catch my comment--but I definitely disagree on Anne. But you should read the books instead of watch the movie to change your mind!! I agree on Jo, what was Louisa May Alcott thinking? I also thought the Katniss/Gale thing was handled badly (if she wasn't going to end up with him there needed to be some better closure!). And I was always a "Jacob" although after reading book 4 I was somewhat reconciled to the way everything shook out. And I know it would have ruined Fitzgerald's beautiful tragedy, but part of me wanted to see Daisy end up with Gatsby . . .

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails