Friday, August 13, 2010

Flashback Friday: My most embarrassing moment (?)

Have you ever sat down to try to think about the most embarrassing moment you've ever experienced? Every once in a while I get to thinking about it but I never come up with anything definitive.

Until the other day, when Jeremy reminded me of what I think is my most embarrassing moment. (Yes - unfortunately, he was there for it.)

Before I remembered that moment (with Jeremy's help), I was just about sure that my most embarrassing moment was the time I peed my pants on the sidewalk in front of my grandma's house while walking my aunt's dog. And we all know how sidewalks turn dark when they get wet. This moment was so embarrassing to my young self that I can't even remember all the details, such as why, exactly, I peed my pants. Hmm.



Another close contender for most embarrassing moment comes from when I was about 11 or 12 years old (age is important because I think being older made it more embarrassing). I was at a friend's house for a slumber party with at least half a dozen other girls. At one point, we decided to play hide and seek. Also at one point, I really had to go to the bathroom. After a couple of rounds of hide and seek, at the beginning of a new round, I went in the bathroom to use the facilities.

After I was done going to the bathroom - why, oh why, after - I noticed that one of my friends was using the shower as her hiding place. As in, the shower right next to the toilet. The toilet I had just used. She had been in there the whole time. Maybe this is just wishful thinking but I'd like to remember that I finished up and went out of the bathroom like I didn't notice her. That would have been the most honorable path of action for both of us. Unfortunately, I have a vague memory of making eye contact with her. Blast.

Anyway, Jeremy did me the favor of reminding me that when we were engaged, we both had to go to the BYU Health Center to get some medical work done in preparation for moving to Russia. For example, we both had to get a chest x-ray.

Since we had our x-rays done at more or less the same time, the films were ready for us to pick up at more or less the same time. We went together to collect our oversized manila envelopes.

But wait, they weren't labeled on the outside for some reason. So, so very naively, I slid one of the x-rays out of its envelope, held it up to the light right there at the Health Center in front of everyone - but more importantly, in front of Jeremy - and asked obtusely, "Whose x-ray is this?? Is it yours or mine?"

Have you ever had a good look at a chest x-ray? I hadn't, not really. X-rays do a great job of taking a picture through all that skin and tissue. They really do. But if you have, um, "extra" skin and tissue over the applicable area, it will show up on the x-ray as a greyish blobby shadow. Not to put it too indelicately, but I had two greyish blobby shadows on my x-ray - you know, the one I was holding up to the light in front of everyone and Jeremy.

Jeremy just started laughing and said something like, "Um, I think that one is yours." As soon as I realized what was going on, I was MORTIFIED. It was like I was suddenly naked in front of everyone, including my fiancé. And it wasn't like someone else had set me up. It was my own fault.

Looking back, it doesn't seem like this should have been so embarrassing. On paper, having your fiancé see a chest x-ray that includes a fair image of one's, um, chest is pretty low on the embarrassment potential. But this was so humiliating to me that I kind of blocked it out of my memory until Jeremy brought it up the other day. It was on his mind since he he had to have another chest x-ray taken, this time for his new job.

Thankfully, this time, I was spared the indignity. And now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that no other, newly remembered embarrassing moments come to mind. I think I have enough for now.

(If anyone has any embarrassing moments to share, that would be brilliant.)

14 comments:

Crys said...

I came home from class one day and decided to take a mid day nap...I happened to only be in my underwear and t shirt. At some point I woke up and came out of my room into the hall. That is when Jason walked by. Apparently he'd come in to hang out. I screamed and ran back into my room. I don't know why him seeing me in just a t-shirt when in less than a month he'd be seeing me in a whole lot less was so embarrassing, but at the time it was...so I guess what I'm saying is I feel your bloobs on an x-ray pain :)

AmandaStretch said...

I'm still mortified by this 13 years later, and I'm not usually embarrassed for long, but let's just say the last time I peed my pants, in public, I was 13.

And I was in a wheelchair.

The end.

Myrna said...

Well, I have lived for a half a century and have been embarrassing myself quite regularly.

But one I remember well--Nancy and David had some friends over, but I was really tired so I went to bed and fell asleep. I dream very vividly, and in my dream, someone had come to the door, and Nancy opened it, and the person proceeded to drag her out and kidnap her! I was so alarmed that I woke up...and heard voices at the door, and still in my dream-fog thought someone really was kidnapping Nancy, so I jumped out of bed and raced down the hall in my nightgown all purposefully to stop the kidnapper and save my daughter...

Yuppers, it ended up in kind of an embarrassing way, since Nancy and David and their friends were all at the door saying goodbye. I can't remember if you were there at the door or not, Amanda, but I know that Matt Thomas was. I think this incident is what he remembers best about me.Unfortunately.

Bridget said...

Ooh, I REALLY wish I could have seen that, Myrna. That sounds so, so embarrassing.

Amanda, are you going to give any more details??

Crys, SO glad you understand. It's almost like being engaged made it worse, you know?

Melody said...

I can think of two. When I was in Junior High, for X number of tardies an in-school-suspension was issued. About a week before having to serve said ISS a letter would be sent in the mail. I didn't receive the letter, so it came as a complete shock when I heard my name called over the intercom while I was sitting in home room. To make matters worse, I didn't realize that when I hurriedly pulled my pants out of the dryer that morning, there was a sock stuck to them. So as I got up I heard peals of laughter. I thought I was being laughed at for being sent to ISS, until I walked into ISS and someone told me I had a sock stuck to my butt.

The second started when I would ask my mom when she would make Autumn's Day Chowder again. She would always reply "Oh on some nice cool day in Autumn." One day as my family was eating dinner together I was thinking about how nice it would be to have some Autumn's Day Chowder and then I realized it was Autumn. So, what I meant to say was, "Mom! Guess what time of the year it is?!" But what came out of my mouth was, "Mom! Guess what time of the month it is?!" After the looks of shock and then laughter from my brother's I realized my error and tried to explain what I meant, but to no avail. My brothers still tease me about that.

AmandaStretch said...

Myrna - If I was there, I don't remember that, so you're safe with me!

As for me, I was in a wheelchair because I'd recently had reconstructive foot surgery. The restroom was a huge inconvenience, and I guess I held it too long. I was at a scholastic competition and we were between events in a school cafeteria. I tried to play it off, like it wasn't pee that was puddled under my chair, someone must have spilled lemonade or something, but I doubt anyone really believed me.

8th grade was a horrible, horrible year.

I think I'll go hide under a rock now.

Anonymous said...

Is it okay if I hide out under anonymous? My most embarressing moment is a toss up between the time, in mexico, that a huge wave knocked me over and my bathing suit malfunctioned and I flashed my brother-in-law or the time my husband and I did our thing with the light on and then realized the window was open(to a parking lot). Lovely. I used to think I had embarrassing moments before that...but I think those win.

Amanda said...

Why do all of these involve bodily fluids? Mine is when Tyler took me out for a nice mother's day picnic when I was pregnant. My allergies got so worked up, I sneezed probably 500 times and due to all that sneezing pushing the baby onto my semi-full bladder, I totally peed my pants and we had to hike 100 yards back to the car past all the other college students who were out on the trail.

Or right after I had Lillian, I was really dysfunctional with breast feeding and one of my breasts swelled up to about the size and hardness of a cantaloupe. Right as I was sitting on my bed with no shirt on trying to get Lillian to latch on- which was impossible for her (and the fact that I had let down and was spraying her in the face like a fire hose wasn't helping), Tyler's sister and her 5 kids paraded into our apartment and into my bedroom without knocking. My nephews got a good shot of all of my business.

The Ensign's said...

Nothing like an x-ray strip tease in front of errrbody!

I'd have to say that one of my most embarassing moments was when I was a little girl (maybe 8?) and during sacrament mtg I had to use the bathroom. My family usually sat in the 4th/5th row. We liked to sit up nice and close so there were less distractions I guess. So anyways I went to the bathroom, pulled up my tights and walked back to our row. As I sat down I remember running my hands along the back of my dress as I sat down and remembering it felt funny, but just kinda ignored it......until..... a nice older gentlemen approched me after church was over to tell me that my dress had been tucked into my tights as I walked the long walk to the 4th/5th row in the middle of sacrament mtg. I was mortified!

Suzanne Bubnash said...

My embarrassments are too numerous to mention. But the TP one reminded me of someone else. Recently I attended a BYU luncheon for parents, and during the break a very lovely stylish-to-the-max woman came out of the bathroom & there was a white TP stripe coming out of her waistband hanging all the way down her pants. 2 of us leaped for her at the same time to prevent her from getting any farther, & though she was completely mortified, she will be eternally grateful to us. It could have been way worse.

Liz Johnson said...

I can never think of an embarrassing moment when I need one, but there have been plenty. One time I was, um, emptying my bowels in the ranchos while hiking to another town, and a man came by with his kids and donkey and passed right by and waved at me, but his kids started to laugh, so I assume they knew exactly what I was doing (which was NOT contemplating the universe in a squat position). Or any time I dance in public, it can be rather embarrassing... especially for those around me. Ha. :)

Jeremy Palmer said...

When I was an exchange student in Kazan, Russia, I once attempted to explain to my host babushka (grandma) and her 16-year-old granddaughter that there was a lot of potential in Russia, in my opinion. Unfortunately I was using the term 'potency' and not 'potential'.

Susanne said...

I love all these stories. Good thing I've never done anything embarrassing in my life.

;)

Kristen said...

I can never think of embarrassing moments on command. They come to me when I least expect to remember them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails