Monday, November 22, 2010

MISSING

For Thanksgiving this Thursday I am planning on making stuffing and this pumpkin dessert I've never made but can't stop dreaming about. However:

MISSING
Canned pumpkin. At this point I would even take the plain canned pumpkin instead of the pumpkin pie kind. I'm that desperate. And yes, I know you can make your own from an actual pumpkin but remember? Pumpkins cost $30 here.

PLACES I'VE LOOKED
Sharjah Co-op. It wasn't there. Not even close.
Carrefour. I got really excited when I saw strawberry, apple, and some kind of currant pie filling. But no pumpkin.
Spinneys. More weird British pie fillings. No pumpkin pie filling.

LAST SEEN WITH
Here's what else I can't find, of all things: sage, the spice. The spice section here literally progresses like so: parsley, rosemary, thyme. It messes up the song AND leaves me without what I need. Maybe if they cleared out a few of the five million kinds of cumin in stock they'd have room for my precious essential stuffing spice.

ACCOMPLICES WHOSE WHEREABOUTS HAVE BEEN ASCERTAINED
I did manage to find evaporated milk (Spinneys), yellow cake mix (Sharjah Co-op), and the other spices I needed (Carrefour). Though really with these recipes it's all or nothing.

PLAN OF ACTION
The rumor at the Sahara Centre Spinneys is that the King Faisal Spinneys has the pumpkin stuff. And my neighbor has sage. Let's see if I can pull this together in time for Thursday!

10 comments:

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Keep a running list of needs for each time a visitor is coming from the States. Have a nice TG.

Liz Johnson said...

I really love cumin.

We could never get canned pumpkin in Mexico. We could get six different varieties of SPAM, but no canned pumpkin. Sigh.

May the force be with you in your search.

Amanda said...

I have made something very like this pumpkin desert, and I can say your efforts are going to be worth it.

Amanda said...

*dessert... typing while nursing is tricky.

JuliaKoponick said...

If I thought it would get to you in time, I would them in the mail today. If you just need it by Christmas, let me know and I will put several in an international one-rate box. :-)

When my brother-in-law was in Afghanistan we used to do this all the time with things he couldn't find. lol

Nancy said...

Try sweet potato pie or even mango pie. Seriously.

My mom once bought a box of mangoes and we ended up making mango pie. It wasn't exactly like pumpkin pie but it certainly had the same consistency and even a similar taste. I'm pretty sure you can get mangoes there.

Sweet potatoes were something we ate in the ME a lot...and sweet potato pie is also similar to pumpkin.

I know it isn't exactly the same...but when the going gets tough the tough get desperate, right?

Katie said...

Oh Good luck! I really hope that you find it, because it is totally worth it.

Kathy Haynie said...

If someone is going to eventually travel for a visit and bring some canned pumpkin to you, make sure they stock up now, during the holiday season. I couldn't even find canned pumpkin in the US last spring when I wanted to make a recipe...so sad...

Susanne said...

What do they have against pumpkin? And not in Mexico either? Goodness!

Best wishes in your quest to make this dessert and happy Thanksgiving!

JosephJ said...

Jen's been having a dickens of a time finding canned pumpkin even HERE in Pilgrim territory, except in the Month of November.

We reduced our own sugar pumpkins after Halloween so we'd have some fresh (from frozen, now) tasting pumpkin throughout the winter. So now that pumpkin is finally in the stores and we have some local gourds preserved in the freezer, we can rest assured that we are stocked up to last us through the frozen season.

Good luck in the hunt!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails