Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Childhood baby name favorites


When I was a kid I used to read the old baby name book my parents had on the bookshelf. As in, sit down and read every single page. At one point I went through the whole book and typed up a list on the computer of all my favorite boy and girl names. Now, lest the above-mentioned fact make you think I was older than about 10, let me tell you that my family had a computer in our home almost as far back as I can remember. So this wasn't as recent as it sounds. I swear.

In sixth grade, I wrote a story and I saved for last the very best part: naming all the characters. I turned to my trusty little names list (which I had updated and culled from time to time) and started plugging them in to the story with wild abandon. I wish I wish I had that story (or the original name list!) now so I could give you a really juicy blog post. Instead, I'll dredge up a few of the old favorite names I remember for no other reason than because it will be fun and it's the week before Christmas and I'm not entirely sure anyone out there is reading blogs these days anyway. Jeremy gets all of a half-day on Thursday off so things haven't slowed down here quite so much in honor of the season.



Ahem. Here are some of the names I loved as a kid. Needless to say, thank goodness my taste grew up a little before I started having my own kids.

Persephone. Never mind the fact that for a while there, in my little mind I pronounced it "PER-suh-phone." Just never mind.

Pandora. Uh, I may or may not have had a thing for Greek mythology when I was seven, ok? Actually, I am still sad this can't be a viable name. It's very pretty and maybe someday it will be associated more with free streaming music instead of a certain box filled with evils. We can all hope.

Zinnia. For sure this was one of the names of the characters in my little story.

Orion. See, my plan was, you name a boy Orion and then if it's too weird you just call him Rian. See? SEE??

Diamond. This must have been after watching too many episodes of American Gladiators.

Ariana. The little girl in Jurassic Park was named this (or maybe the actress was) and thank goodness the government doesn't allow you to legally change your name when you're eleven years old or this would have been IT.

Vincent. OK, I confess, I still kind of like this one even as I recognize its ridiculousness.

Isadora. I think this was another one of the characters in my story. Not too bad, really, when you think about it.

Jorinda and Jorindel. These were names I got from some fairy tale or other. Now, I think these are two of the most awkward-sounding names EVER. But the fairy tale was good.

Lucretia. This name sounds like it means something else. It shares a few too many sounds with certain other unpleasant words.

By the way, no, I'm not pregnant and don't make me write a post about the PregnancyWatch that descends upon Mormon wives the minute their youngest child gets to be about one year old.

What are some of the more ridiculous baby names you've entertained?

20 comments:

Becky said...

Hey--I'm out there checking blogs to avoid the packing I should be doing. I LOVE the name list, hilarious. Although you'd fit right in with the Greek names--Percy Jackson and the Olympians has made Greek mythology quite the "in" thing again. The only name I remember from my childhood--my sister desperately wanted to legally change her name (she was probably 7 at the time) to Chloe. We all thought it was the "coolest" name ever.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

For some months when you were about 9 you wanted to be named Diamond. And Blair wanted to change his to Blaze.

What's this about American Gladiators? That never graced the screen of our TV. Unless you were sneaking out to watch it after we went to bed?

Cait said...

I have a friend whose sister just named her baby Persephone. And they call her Sephi (which looks a lot like Nephi so I wonder if people at church pronounce it wrong).

I almost named our child Milo, which I like still but then in Egypt we watched the movie Milo and Otis over at the Perry's apartment and I'm glad we choose his other name.

I also had a slight obsession with baby naming when I was a young child - and sometimes I read your posts and think I am you. It's eerie.

JuliaKoponick said...

I have always loved the names Adam and Sarah. I did name one of my daughters Sarah. I almost named my son Adam, but when he was born, he just wasn't an "Adam." So, he is Joshua instead.

My first husband did not like the name Madeline, so when we divorced I changed my middle name to Madeline, since I had never liked my middle name anyway. When I remarried and we had a daughter, we also named her Madeline. People who haven't known us long just assume that Madeline is a family name since it is my middle name and her first name.

Just as an FYI, kids cant ask to have their name legally changed, but their parents can do i t, if they can be convinced.

I only know of one person who convinced her parents to do it when she was a kid. Her name was Constance, and she absolutely hated it. She became Jennifer when we were in third grade.

Thanks for the interesting blog post. I have more time for reading them this time of the year, but I do sometimes wonder if anyone is reading my blog too. :-)

Bridget said...

I LOVED the name Constance when I was a little girl! I forgot about that. I went through a little Puritan phase where I loved names like Charity and Constance.

Mom, American Gladiators was on all the time at our house. Sorry.

Susanne said...

I always love name posts! This one was great especially when I think you would have been an Ariana or Diamond if you had had your way as a child! :)

Diamond of Arabia

Ariana of Arabia...cute!

When I first saw Zinnia on your list, I thought "as in the word for adultery in Arabic" only because 1) I don't know Arabic 2) I forgot "zinnia" and "zina" aren't the same. I just saw the Z and A and my mind took me there and how unfortunate it would be for your girls to live in the UAE with that name. Alas, I see it's merely a flower. :)

I wish you still had your list and the story too!

Thanks for sharing this. LOL about the Mormon pregnancy watch. I hate when women are pressured to have more and more babies. I guess some folks don't realize not everyone wants a lot of children and that's not a bad thing.

Shannan said...

Once again Bridget - your posts make me laugh and smile!! You are so well written. Anyway, without a doubt - WITHOUT A DOUBT (I repeat) - my first born boy was going to be named Gilbert. I'll let you literary fiends figure out where that came from (I was in 5th grade at the time).

Also, in high school, I came across the name 'Lane' - she was a girl I was a cheerleader with and she was just a simple, lovely, educated person. Years and years later, I finally had my own 'Lane'. So names from childhood do work out!

lyse. said...

I might steal this for my own blog... great idea!

I think when I was 9 i vaired between athena and lily. odd, i know.

Melody said...

I used to LOVE the name Amalthea (yes, from "The Last Unicorn"). A little later it was Anastasia, and after that it was Xan (short for Alexandria). I don't ever remember loving any boy names except for Eric because that was the name of the prince in "The Little Mermaid."

Natchel said...

Well I like more unusual names.. but not THAT unusual. Although, I will admit that Orion is still on our short list if we ever have another boy. But before Gabriel there was Ramses and Ramius....seriously. And I have always loved the name Perpetua. But only if we lived in England. Puh-petua.

Lilianne said...

I'm laughing out loud due to the conversation between you and your mom about American Gladiators! :) That's hilarious. My mom didn't think we were watching MTV - but guess what? We were. Sorry, mom! Love it.

My childhood love names were Olivia and Isabelle. EVERY one of my dolls were named either one of these names. Not so creative as yours!

Aimee said...

When I was in 1st or 2nd grade I thought "Trista" was the most beautiful name in the world. Hmmm... I think there is nothing ridiculous with the name Vincent. I think it sounds particularly masculine.

Between Jr. High and College I had all six of my children named after folks in the Bible. ie: Rebekah Eve, Rachel Elisabeth (they were twins, of course), Hannah Marie, Matthew Joseph, Daniel Timothy, and Isaiah something or other.

I love the Irish surnames, hence the reason my son is named Jameson. But for my daughters, I do think I want to give a nod to my German heritage and our love of Vienna. Without name a child "Vienna" as many people have kindly suggested. Boy German names are just ummm, tough and grandpa-like. Georg (gay-org), Fredrick, Heinrich, Helmut, Franz, Karl, Johann, Martin...you get my drift. The girls names are much nicer sounding.

Christina LeSueur said...

I had an obsession with the boy name Thaddeus for some time as a kid. I have no idea where it came from but glad it didn't last long.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Ummmm, where was I every time A. G. was supposedly on our TV? Oh I know, probably at a church meeting or getting groceries, and the other adult who lives in this house let you control the zapper. . . .

Sarah said...

I laughed at this post, too. Thanks for sharing! I know I had a name list when I was a child, but I can't remember what they were. However, my own daughter is now 7 and keeps telling me different names she WISHES she were named like: Francine, or Brianna, etc. After I read this post I decided I need to keep a running list of her new names so I can bring them out when she's all grown up.

: said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy said...

I totally went on a Grecian kick for a while, too. I was sure my first born would be named Athena.

AmandaStretch said...

One of my favorite letters is Z, so I was convinced that I would one day name all my children with Z names. I think I only came up with 5 though, and 4 of them were for boys. I'd still like to have a Zoe someday.

Once, when I was merching for the "Wicked" tour, I met a guy with the name Orion. Consider I love the stars and space, I thought it was an awesome name, but now I can't name my future child that because instead of the constellation, it will always remind me of the strange, tipsy young man with the strange Elphaba tattoo on his ribs. Bummer.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

I like Athena. Needs the right last name though.

Liz Johnson said...

I would really love to read the Mormon pregnancy watch post. It's hilarious and so true.

I was obsessed with the name "Cayenne" as a pre-teen. Like the pepper. I desperately wanted a girl named that.

In high school, there was a running joke that I'd name my first kid Tope (pronounced TOH-pay), which is the spanish word for "speed bump."

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails