Sunday, January 02, 2011

2010 Book Stats

Here are some interesting (?) stats about the books I read in 2010.

The books I read in 2010 were:

62% fiction.

38% non-fiction (obviously).

Furthermore, 67% of the fiction was Young Adult.

On the whole, 42% of all the books I read were Young Adult.

22% of the books were non-first-time reads.

14% of this year's reading list were books that Jeremy also read this year.

I also (nerd alert!) made a chart to show my reading patterns over the year. I didn't take too much time to finesse it, but you get the idea.

The times I read the most books were when Jeremy was out of town or when we were staying with family members who tended to the basic needs of my small children on my behalf. It occurred to me the other day that perhaps these family members think I always ignore my kids to read. The truth is that I only ignore my kids to read when said family members are around to fill the void created by my absence.

(OK, it is possible that there are other times I ignore my kids to read, especially if reading a book at the park while the girls play counts as "ignoring." Does it?)

The reality of reading while also being a mom is more like this:

That's me, my mouth full of gingerbread cookie, reading Nothing to Envy in the kitchen while I wait eight minutes for the oven timer to go off for the next batch. The kids are in the dining room, busy eating their gingerbread cookies. Thanks for catching me by surprise when taking this picture, Jeremy.

Sometimes I feel bad that I get to read more books than Jeremy. It is the blessing and curse of being a SAHM, I suppose. On the one hand, I have resigned myself to catching a few pages in between sibling spats and "mom, I need help wiping!" moments. On the other hand, reading books is my way of continuing to learn new things, stretching my mind, and engaging with the world.

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad there are other nerds out there. I love stuff like this! You read WAY more than I do, but I'm so glad you posted that picture. It tells the true story. :)

Suzanne Bubnash said...

You've got to squeeze in reading when you can! The worst thing would be to say "I don't have time to read" meaning, "I don't have a solid block of uninterrupted time like in the pre-child days." Because you're not going to have that solid block again for many years and what a tragedy it would be to give up reading because of that.

lyse. said...

So I went out and bought and read (in 3 days) Nothing to Envy. And I basically read it every spare minute of every day... although I'm not a mom, so there were a lot of spare minutes. A great recommendation! So interesting!

Susanne said...

I love this post - the stats, the graph, the adorable picture (really!), the disclaimer that you really do tend to your kids' needs! :) I read it all with great interest. It seems those gingerbread cookies were good!

Thanks for sharing this. Now I want to do my own stats. Maybe I'll skip the chart since basically none of those things happened in my life. :)

Liz Johnson said...

Um, NO, you are NOT ignoring your kids if you read while they play at the park. You are separately engaged in wholesome activities. That is not ignoring.

Me sitting at the computer while my children scream at me about being hungry... that's ignoring them. :)

Shannan said...

Bridget -
if it makes you feel better, I have been known to carry around my book of the day (whatever it is) holiding my place with my left hand while doing daily tasks with my right hand. So picture this, walking around ordering kids around (my two older children are easy to order around), then reading a page or two, grabbing a snack for the younger two, read a page or two.

I'm not saying I do this every day, but this is the technique I do employ especially when I have a really good series I'm trying to finish.

Nursing a baby is also prime reading time. I'm like - SCORE, the baby needs to eat, gotta go back to my room and kids please don't ruin or destroy anything while I "nurse" aka read my book while passively feeding my child!

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Another thought--a person can get a lot of reading done if willing to do it in non-traditional ways. At the park while the kids play works very well. Though most would consider it rude, there are times I read at the dinner table. I'm surprised at how often I see people at the doc office or DMV or other public place where waiting is a given, and they're just sitting there staring at the wall. Read a book people!

Jeremy Palmer said...

When I get really busy I do become jealous that Bridget reads so much. Bless her heart. I realize this is a fault and I am working on not harboring such feelings. But 4x as many books as me? Come on, man! I mean, woman!

Nancy said...

I am so glad you posted this because Andrew and I were just wondering to each other about how you manage to read so much. I read Hunger Games (the first book) yesterday while my kids played "library" by pulling ALL their books (more than 100, I'm sure) off the shelf in their room, carting them to various places in the house, and reading them to each other.

I also finished a few books this Christmas break that I have been working on since coming home from Egypt.

I also have a feeling my reading will slow down tremendously once the semester starts...*sigh*

Susanne said...

Mine is not nearly as cute as yours (no reading-while-eating-a-gingerbread-cookie picture, sadly), I did one too. Thanks for inspiring me! :)

Crys said...

As a kid I remember my mom reading while driving...yup actually driving. I'm not that bad, but I understand the need to keep going. I bring books to the table, to bed, I've read in the shower where I've managed to figure out how to wash, rinse, and condition my hair one handed :) Sometimes I stress over what I'm going to do once the kids move out since I certainly have no plans on keeping my house spotless but then I figure well, if I never get a real job I can always just spend my time reading.

Amanda said...

Dang! You are a better reader than I am. I have a hard time focusing so I only read after the kids are in bed, whether that's at nap time or night time. When I have tried to "multitask" I usually end up getting angry at being interrupted. So for a happier home, I just wait 'til bedtime.

Bridget said...

I've said before that the main reason I'm able to read so much is that I happen to be a very fast reader. Otherwise, it's like you all said - I grab every opportunity.

There are books I have to wait until bedtime to read but most do well enough in little snippets during the day.

I miss nursing a baby for that same reason, Shannan.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails