Monday, January 10, 2011

On Tucson

You know, for all I didn't like living there so much, I am saddened to see Tucson in the national spotlight for such  unsavory reasons. And that was even before the attempted assassination of Gabrielle Giffords. Tucson can't do anything right these days, it seems. There was the controversial immigration law from a few months ago. More recently, a Latino literature class at Tucson High School was declared illegal.

There are also the little things, like how the speed-trap cameras in Tucson don't recognize license plates from Mexico (and there are a lot of those driving around) and are thus unable to issue tickets to those drivers.

Or how other cities in colder climates bus in their homeless people to Tucson when the winter comes, which was just so fun for those of us who lived there (I swear this is true).

Or the way the city is so divided between white and Hispanic. Don't believe me? Check out this map of census data (source). All you need to know is that green is white and yellow is Hispanic.

Then, of course, there are the bitter, lingering conflicts in Tucson over health care for illegal immigrants as well as immigrants who are rescued/apprehended after almost dying in the desert during an unlawful attempt for the border. University Medical Center, specifically - the same hospital that is trying to save Giffords' life - bears the brunt of those controversial costs.

Anyway, my point is that there are a lot of things going on in Tucson and the attempted assassination of one of its politicians is especially tragic. So sad.

Much-maligned former home, I weep for you.

6 comments:

Bridget said...

I just found this article, which says it so much better.

Liz Johnson said...

To be honest, that literature class thing makes me kind of angry. I hadn't heard of that before.

I'm so sorry. The immigration thing is a really tricky issue. I wish we could find a good answer. And I'm sorry that this kid didn't get the help it appears he needed. Whether he was purely evil or sick, I still feel bad for that kid and his family. Especially his mom. :(

(and obviously the families of the people who were shot. it just seems like nobody remembers that the shooter's family members are victims too... just not the gunshot wound variety)

Bridget said...

Sometimes I think the family of the shooter has it worse...and this is one of those times.

Susanne said...

Your comments remind me of how the Amish treated the shooter's wife with such kindness after her husband killed some of their children. The Amish showed such Christlike love that everyone was stunned, I think.

Yes, it's sad for all involved.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Tucson's ethnic division isn't uncommon. In the heyday of immigration every town & city had their Irish, Italian, Greek & everything else sections. As generations pass, blending occurs. I suspect Tucson's stark division is due to the Mexicans being more recent immigrants.

If any class teaches that a group should be able to reclaim their ancestral land, then I'm due a nice farm with ocean view in Ireland and a mountaintop in Slovakia!

I agree that the shooter's family suffers worse in these very public cases. They are innocent but will be "punished" for the rest of their lives.

Brittany Cornett said...

While I am not surprised by your post knowing how you feel about Tucson in the past, I think more sympathy is needed. While we do create our own problems many of the problems that we face is because of our location to Mexico and the escalating violence there. With the new immigration law and the disagreements that are arising caused a very heated past campaign. I had a hard time listening to the radio and TV myself and am not surprised that a very seriously disturbed individual felt validated in his anger toward Gabrielle.
I now live not far from the shooting and having gone to CDO I visited that Safeway a lot, i love our community and i am saddened that such a horrific event occured.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails