Thursday, January 20, 2011

A perfect storm (of kids fussing)

A couple of weeks ago, I was so sick that it was all I could do to lie on the floor and hope that the girls would ignore me and get to playing nicely so I could wallow in misery. Of course that's not what happened. Moms NEVER get a sick day.

Before I knew it, Magdalena had "stolen" a coloring page of dubious origin that ostensibly belonged to Miriam. That might not have been such a big deal except that Miriam was super overtired and ready for something to wail dramatically about. The stolen coloring page fit the bill quite nicely.

(PS, "Majd" is our nickname for Magdalena.)


When I took this video (clandestinely), I expected it to be a portrait of what a "sick day" (hahahahahahahahaha) for a mom looked like. But I think it illustrates a few other principles, namely:

1. The sheer ability of a second child to just NOT. CARE.

2. The faith of a two-year-old that a blankie can solve any problem.

3. The state of dishevelment your kids reach when you are unable to dress them and comb their hair.

4. The temerity a mom can sometimes have to laugh at her kids saying hilarious things in their tiny anger (I lost it at the "you're going to give it to me, or I'm going to take it" line and you can hear me try to stifle my laughter).

5. The way a kid can get reeeeeeeally worked up about something small if she puts her mind to it.

And finally,

6. The absolute importance of hugs. I can manage that. Even when I'm sick.

(No, not pregnant sick, just the regular kind. Thanks.)

15 comments:

Merkley Jiating said...

That you took the time to edit the movie and caption it cracks me up more than the video itself. You are awesome.

Sherwood family said...

That scene looks remarkably like my house almost every day. Small children are champion whiners, aren't they? And you're right, seconds just don't care.

Jen said...

Honestly, I really don't have the words to express how awesome that was....and JUST when I thought it couldn't get anymore awesome, you went all Masterpiece Theatre on me and added music at the end. I think you have a future in this, Bridget, and now THIS adoring fan is going to want more!!

Side note: your girls are fantastic. Favorite line? "Majd is getting all the hugs!"

Bridget said...

Jen, I love you for recognizing the music :).

Nancy said...

Wow. Majd is talking up a storm!

And Miriam is an excellent...faker.

I love how she can stop the wailing and whining enough to explain to you in a calm, steady voice, that she's going to take it or Majd is going to give it to her.

Also, you're incredibly patient. When Rachel starts up like that I ask her to go to her room until she can control herself. Of course, at this point, her tantrums usually also involve hitting, kicking, biting, and head-butting. Oi.

Glad you're feeling better!

Cait said...

I love how Majd is all like "I took it from her, whatever, now I'm going to color it."

And I think my favorite line is: "You're blocking me from all the hugs!!"

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Are you still dizzy?

Bridget said...

No, back to normal now, thank goodness.

Nancy, normal procedure would not have tolerated such outbursts but I was amused by where this incident was going and also too ill to enforce anything different...

Christi and Clifton said...

I love that you pointed out that second children just don't care. That is so typical of Katelyn. She makes parenting so much more exciting and complicated. Your girls are so cute. Loved the video-it looked very familiar. :)

Jennifer said...

That is awesome!

Shannan said...

How did you edit that video and add subtitles and everything?

So funny!!

I have to admit having only boys up to this point that I really don't get the whiny crying "you're blocking all the hugs from me" but instead I get hits, kicks, items thrown, and LOUD angry outbursts when the children feel wrong.


It is going to be interesting when Lane gets older and feels wronged.

Susanne said...

Loved this! So dramatic and the ending made me laugh. :) And how do you manage to look so pretty even when too sick to move?

I love Majd's haircut!

Lilianne said...

I just love how Majd was not ruffled at all. So funny!

Anonymous said...

This was brilliant! I woke up on Saturday morning, signed into my gmail, clicked your blog link, and ended up starting off the day laughing hysterically.

I loved "Majd is blocking the way from hugs to me!"

AND

I love Magadalena's nickname :-)

Thanks for posting this Bridget, I love getting updates on Miriam Damascus and Majd the Middlebury Baby.

All the best,

Dani

Liz Johnson said...

I just realized my comment never posted! Agh. Freaking ITouch.

I think that video is so hilarious, especially the part about Majd always blocking all the hugs. And I love how you describe Miriam: "super overtired and ready for something to wail dramatically about." That is a phrase I'm going to adapt, because it perfectly describes my children quite often.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails