Saturday, February 12, 2011

Ding dong, Mubarak's gone

I stayed up until midnight in Doha (1am Sharjah time) on Thursday night waiting for Hosni Mubarak to come on TV and make the speech that everyone was hoping would be the one where he finally relinquished power.

Jeremy and the girls were already in their beds, asleep, though since we were in a hotel room, we were all just a few feet away from each other. I was huddled on my half of the bed, curled around my laptop with one earphone in, trying to stay awake long enough for Mubarak's speech (once it did begin) to make some kind of sense. That never happened. I finally gave up and went to sleep.

Then yesterday, on the flight home from Doha to Sharjah, the Egyptian man sitting next to Jeremy told us that Mubarak had stepped down. All at once, I could not - and absolutely could - believe it.


Now I can watch this video again (it's still the most evocative music/footage/text combination about the protests that I've seen) without reservation, and embrace the emotion it expresses and inspires.


The moment where the resignation was announced is here:


And here is a lovely interview with Al-Jazeera English reporter Ayman Mohyeldin:


You know, it's been a while since I've had a journalistic hero (Richard Quest and Hala Gorani come to mind, but it's been a solid eight years since I've had access to CNN International and could idolize them). I think Al Jazeera English (and Ayman Mohyeldin specifically) are my new journalistic heroes for presenting Egypt's story so meaningfully.

Congratulations, Egypt!

9 comments:

Jill said...

He is hot

Bridget said...

Hosni Mubarak, or Ayman Mohyeldin (to use only his first name or only his last name is to disrespect him)?

Becky said...

It's inspiring, really. "We will never be silenced . . ." I hope and pray things go well for them from here.

Liz Johnson said...

Yes. Amazing. I woke up this morning and am STILL energized by Egypt. Awesome.

Liz Johnson said...

(To clarify my comment on the previous post, I also have a journalistic celeb-crush on Christiane Amanpour. It's like you said - they're my journalistic heroes. And I didn't realize that I should be using 2 names... apologies!)

Bridget said...

Hahahaha, Liz, I was being facetious when I said that about using both names. Mostly I think his two names sound so neat together that it's a shame not to use them both.

Christiane Amanpour is another one of my heroes. She also has a name that sounds best when used in full.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

I admire the Egyptian people who bravely took to the streets; they showed they were willing to forfeit their lives. We all hope for a peaceful and productive transition. Change can be rocky so let's hope & pray for the best. Will this become an 1848 chain reaction?

The first report I saw of Suleiman's speech used a different translator and I haven't been able to find that one to watch again. When he got to the part about Mubarak stepping down, he momentarily and emotionally repeated that Mubarak was stepping down!

Wait, I just found it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu0MxwX1Yr8

Kathy Haynie said...

Thank you Bridget. I woke up this morning hoping that you would post more about Egypt, and you answered my wish! So inspiring.

Crys said...

He is good looking....but then I think Anderson Cooper is cute (obviously I'm not thrown by the whole, he has a boyfriend thing) as well as my friend Othello Richards who is on the news in Kennewick so I might just have a thing for news reporters :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails