Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Nice hotels are still too good for me

If we weren't classy enough for the Boston Marriott, we certainly aren't classy enough for the Doha Moevenpick. And yet, here we are, thanks to Jeremy presenting at a conference (the reason for every nice hotel we've ever stayed in, now that I think about it).

I'm not sure we're fooling anybody, though. We don't dress well enough to fit in with the other people milling around the lobby, for one thing. For another, we brought with us some milk and cereal and other food so we don't have to eat out three times a day. I'm sure that was a dead giveaway that we are not fancy folk.



And then there was the small matter of me washing our laundry in the bathtub today...

Just about the only thing classy about our entire family when we checked in were the girls' Trunki suitcases.
We finally bought the girls their own suitcases last week - partially in preparation for this trip - and we bought the Trunki specifically because the girls can pull them by themselves. Even Magdalena! Finally, they are literally pulling their own weight.

They can also sit on the suitcase and scoot it along, or sit on it and be pulled by Jeremy or me. The ghetto way of doing that last bit was as you see here.

I think if we had rolled into the Moevenpick lobby like that, they would have kicked us RIGHT OUT.

10 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

WOW, fancy! I always feel super awkward in nice hotels. I feel the same way when I'm in a nice restaurant or dressed up all fancy... it just isn't my natural environment. And I totally have washed clothes in a hotel bathtub, too. You're my kind of person!

Nancy said...

You know, I saw those suitcases in catalogue and I showed them to Andrew. We wondered if they were as cool as they sounded. Sounds like they are! :D

Have fun in your fancy, shmancy hotel!

Glenda The Good said...

Nancy and Liz always beat me to the comments!!!! What is that about! The suitcases look great. I've been trying to figure out how to make my dead weight help out for years :) My only question...is being pulled along so fun that kids want to do it even if they aren't tired? Hmm..and now I have to go because my toddler is screaming, nurse, I need milk, nurse! SHE IS A NIGHTMARE!!!!

Glenda The Good said...

I just wanted to say that this post was up when Jason walked in the office door tonight. He looked over and said, "Wow that is a NICE hotel!" :)

Nicole and Justin said...

I have been reading your blog for several months now and thought I should finally comment and tell you how much I enjoy it. I grew up in the Middle East and enjoy some of the memories your posts bring back. I've read and enjoyed several of the books you've recommended (although I couldn't make it through Columbine...the subject matter more than anything) So anyways, thanks for being such an entertaining writer:)

Katie said...

Those little suitcases are adorable! And super functional, it seems. More pictures please! And congrats on getting to stay in such a nice hotel! :)

Sarah Familia said...

I've been thinking about those suitcases for our kids too, since our travel pictures typically look like your "before" picture (or worse: at our lowest point Tony was also wearing a kid in a sling on the front and a gigantic Britax Boulevard carseat as a backpack. In fact, I even confess to once loading the double stroller up with suitcases and making the kids walk).

My only question is, how much do they hold? Are they as little inside as they look outside? Can you fit all the clothes they need for the trip in them? (or was that why you were doing laundry in the bathtub?)

Bridget said...

Sarah, they fit about four outfits plus pajamas and a few coloring books/toiletries. It's just about the right size for the kind of trip where you only want a carry-on (like this one was for us).

Alli E. said...

Awesome little suitcases! I may have to get some for my girls since we travel quite a bit!!

irslan said...

This hotel is a short distance from manchester City Centre where you will find many great stores. You will also be close to the night life so shop all day and play all night!
hotels manchester

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails