Monday, February 21, 2011

Year of No Candy


I don't think I've mentioned here yet that I made a goal to not eat any candy in 2011. Jeremy went without ice cream for all of 2010 so I thought no candy would a nice gesture on my part this year. Jeremy is not participating in my pledge, just as I did not participate in the Year of No Ice Cream.

One of the reasons I picked on candy specifically is because for some reason, when I get to the Middle East, I go candy CRAZY. It's all well and good to enjoy a timely Toffifay now and then, but in all honesty, I could eat the entire pack in one day, no problem. Which means it WAS a problem. So I swore it off entirely.

(Here is where I should mention that I am not doing this to lose weight. I'm doing it just to see if I can. I went four years in high school without eating candy and although we all know how THAT turned out, I want to make sure I still have some willpower left in my life.)



Since every goal has to have clearly defined parameters, I decided that ice cream and homemade baked goods are still allowed. I considered allowing chocolate as well (in its unadulterated, non-recombined form, like Galaxy chocolate bars) but I know myself too well. If I hadn't included chocolate in the ban, I would be eating it at any and every given moment.

You see, even when we're not in the Middle East, I have a crazily active sweet tooth. I'm one of those people who suspects herself of being an alcoholic if only I ever drank alcohol. I don't really like junk food. I just like CANDY. You know how Jerry Seinfeld always joked that as children, the main goal of our lives was to obtain candy? Well, in many ways (until this year), that was still my goal. Let's just say I was never one of those kids whose Halloween candy lasted much past the first week of November. I can't have candy in the house and not eat it. In fact, part of the reason I exercise a lot is to support my candy habit. True story.

Anyway, the Year of No Candy was going along swimmingly until earlier this month. Never has my resolution been so tested than when we were traveling in Qatar. I never realized how much I depended on candy when we're on the road in a foreign country. Maybe it's because candy will never give you food poisoning, and it's familiar, and you can always find it at even the tiniest local store. Plus, Snickers have a lot of peanuts in them, don't you know? Then there were the duty free shops at each airport packed with Milka chocolates in all their delicious variations. It was really, really hard to go without candy in Qatar, BUT I DID IT.

And I still don't regret making this goal. Even though I love candy, I recently realized that it doesn't taste so good, even right after you eat it. Seriously. It only tastes good right when it's in your mouth, and after that, it's kind of ewwwww.

Having said that, in ten months, be sure to look for the post where I rave about York peppermint patties and those oversized holiday Reese's peanut butter shapes with all the extra peanut filling. Oh, and Good & Plenty. Mmmmm.

15 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

I should totally do this for cookies & cookie dough. I have absolutely no self-control when it comes to those things. I could probably eat an entire batch of cookie dough. It's ridiculous.

Good for you, man. Does this even rule out Kinder eggs?! What about Easter??!

Susanne said...

I'm glad you explained why you were doing this. I was thinking "is this a Mormon thing to swear off something for a year?" (Especially since Jeremy did the whole ice cream thing in 2010.) Like how some Christians fast during Lent. But now I know it's just a personal willpower thing. Wow, good for you saying no to candy!

I've never tried alcohol either. I wonder if I would become an addict. I think not since I rarely drink sweet drinks because I prefer getting my calories from food. Then again maybe I'm underestimating the draw of alcohol...hmmm. Best I leave it alone just in case. :)

I hope you are loving school!!

Lisa Lou said...

I did actually eat a whole pack of Toffifays over Christmas. It was the big pack too. Dang.

Crys said...

Are you allowed chocolate chips, like in baked goods...and if you are allowed them in baked goods can you eat them plain out of the package? This is my husband. I'm constantly running out of chocolate chips because he stands at the counter eating them right out of the bag. Since childhood candy has not been a problem for me. I still occasionally like a twix bar...and in Jordan I was hating Jason because he'd buy these weird knockoff bars, eat them at school and then bring the wrappers home with him...but for the most part the yucky after taste is a major candy turn off. Baked goods on the other hand...MAJOR PROBLEMO! I as well personally think I'm a dry alcoholic. I wonder how many addictive personality mormon types suplement sugar for other drugs/alcohol they'd otherwise be taking?

Tyler Ball said...

This sounds like a book I read. Give us an update if you visit any non-candy eating traditionalist communities.

Steven said...

Is popcorn included in your year of no candy? I know how much you love popcorn :)

Eevi said...

The longest I've gone without candy was from halloween to Christmas..I dont think I could ever go for a whole year--I just love candy way too much. After your year is done, I wish I could reward you with one of those liquorice chocolate candy bars from Finland:) The only reason I don't consume pounds of candy every week is the fact that American candy always leaves me feeling unsatisfied no matter how much I had looked forward to eating it. Good luck!!!

Kat Clark said...

I have never, ever been able to do something like this. Michael, however, is the champion of "no...for a..." He went a year without fast food, even avoiding hamburgers or fries when we were at a barbecue. It was amazing. He told me I couldn't do it, I was offended and tried, I lasted all of 2 weeks before I caved.

My point is, this takes gumption and not to label you as stubborn, more like driven, you will do this. I guarantee it. You're awesome.

Jeremy Palmer said...

The beauty of ice cream is that it tastes good before, during, and after consumption.

Bridget said...

Popcorn is definitely allowed. Chocolate chips within a baked good are a grey area, I realize, but I'm allowing it for now. I have never been one to snack on chocolate chips for candy purposes (except in an emergency) so maybe that's why I feel like it's ok.

I agree with you, Jeremy. I don't think I have ever, ever felt like yucky after eating ice cream.

Jeremy Palmer said...

I just ate two donuts that were in the office left over from a meeting this morning. To me, donuts are like candy to you, Bridget. They taste yummy as you eat them but not so much after. I am currently experiencing a certain greasy heaviness in the abdominal region.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Yes it's a good thing we are Mormons who don't drink alcohol. Otherwise we'd be embarrassing ourselves or even lying in a gutter somewhere. But since we don't drink, we eat unhealthy quantities of candy instead, which is more socially acceptable and easier to be sneaky about than alcohol.

Our elderly cousin Anna once gave up candy for a long time and that inspired me to do so too, although I did retain the right to eat my favorite chocolate daily, in reasonable amounts. Otherwise I would have gone insane. I lasted several years before relapsing.

And for your amusement I have to confess that your photo of GoodnPlenty made me go out and buy a box and eat the whole thing in one day, in your honor.

Bridget said...

If there were Good & Plenty anywhere in this country, I would be going out and buying a box every time I looked at my own blog at this photo.

Kathy Haynie said...

An inspiring and worthy goal. Good for you! I, too, have a troublesome sweet tooth...and would probably drink way too much alcohol if I hadn't joined the Mormon church on my 18th birthday...

Teresa Jane said...

Bridget, I thought you just went without pop in high school...
I used to be addicted to blizzards. Remember? Back in November, when I was trying to have Shiloh before Thanksgiving Break so I wouldn't miss as much class, I chose to mix castor oil in a blizzard. I have not had one since, it was that gross. Just an idea in case you ever want to quit something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails