Monday, March 28, 2011

Arab revolutions as musicals

There's really no way to keep this from sounding trite. Just know that I don't mean it to be a thorough, all-encompassing, perfect analogy. It's just an observation, and it's meant to be a respectful one. I love music and I can't help but draw themes and connections and emotions from songs out into what is going on in the world at large.

From January into February, I was listening to a lot of Les Miserables, the musical. Whenever "Do You Hear the People Sing?" came up, it gave me goosebumps just thinking about the parallels to the Jan 25 goings-on in Egypt. (I have since realized that I am not the only one to have that impression - the comments on many of the YouTube versions of that song say as much and more.)

So if Egypt is "Do You Hear the People Sing?" what does that make Syria?

Well, I've been listening to Evita a lot in March. And there is one song that gives me the shivers just thinking about Syria. It's "Waltz for Eva and Che."

Seriously, check out the lyrics (or just listen to them in the song). Replace "descomisados" with "the old guard" and there it is.

7 comments:

amber eve said...

too perfect. :)

Liz Johnson said...

I wish I understood the Syrian revolution better. Do you have any good resources that explain the dynamics there for people like me who don't know the history??

I saw "Les Miserables" in early February, and I got such incredible goosebumps during the whole thing because of Egypt. It just made me tingle with such optimism for the human race. Amazing.

Bridget said...

I just think the Che/Eva song describes Bashar al Assad's situation so well. Eva is Bashar.

I started to write an interpretation of this song as being about Syria and then I felt stupid for overanalyzing Evita, for crying out loud. I'm reading a book about Assad right now and maybe I can work it into that review sometime soon.

Bridget said...

But Amber Eve understood what I was going for, right? :)

In retrospect, I realize that people who are familiar enough with both Syria AND Evita to appreciate the parallels might be a very small subset of the population...and they probably don't read this blog.

amber eve said...

i definitely understand your sentiment, but i have lived in both argentina and currently, syria. maybe i'm your single reader who fits that description.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Wow, both of those are amazingly apt. I get chills & tears listening to the Les Mis selection because now we are looking backward to the amazing Egyptian Revolution. The Egyptians stood up for their country in such ruthless circumstances and yet prevailed. I hope the same for other countries.

Bridget said...

Liz (and others), here is a great article about what is going on in Syria right now, and why.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails