Sunday, April 10, 2011

Global Day

The American University of Sharjah held their annual Global Day festival last week. I'm a sucker for celebrations of amazing diversity of national origin, where people dress up and decorate booths and sing and dance. Global Day was no disappointment.

Miriam's school had a mini-Global Day. Each member of her class dressed up in their traditional garb. It was really hard for me to come up with something truly American. Except for an American/Pakistani girl, Miriam is the only USA-ian in her class. I solicited ideas on Facebook and eventually sent Miriam to school wearing cowboy boots along with her normal outfit. One of the teachers found a cowboy hat and I think the effect was quite nice. This is what they had made for me when I went to pick her up:



Meanwhile, on campus, the festivities were about to begin.

KSA = Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. I wanted to go in their booth, but the music was so loud I was physically unable to go any farther.

OMAN.

To go with the festive atmosphere, somebody put soap in the fountain. The bubbles were amazing. I love this picture not only because my daughter is in it, but because you can see a sample of the attention she attracts from bystanders on a regular basis.

Syria's booth, complete with water wheel. At this point (and there are many, many booths I did not take pictures of), it became kind of a game to find a booth whose sponsor country was not currently or had not recently been involved in civil unrest.

Foamy Turkish yogurt from a tap. No, I didn't try any.

Lebanon! Please note that Christianity is represented in Lebanon's booth.

Jeremy made fun of me for taking a picture of what is essentially a set of doors, but like I said, I'm a sucker for this kind of thing.

After the general merriment, there was an indoor performance put on by the cultural clubs of different countries. Before the Emirati Club performed, I just knew it was going to be a bunch of dudes in kandura dancing with sabers. Turns out it was guns, but close enough. It might sound like I'm making fun of it, but I'm not. I actually find it quite fascinating.


Now, here's where I need your help. The performance also featured a fashion show, which ended up being my favorite part of the whole evening. However, I am slowly being driven insane by an inability to decipher which country is represented at around 2:45 in the clip. Can someone please figure it out? I've even gone so far as to work through a list of all the countries in the world and try to match their traditional garb with what I see, and also match their country's pronunciation with what I hear. I have not been successful.


Global Day at AUS is a yearly event, and I would definitely recommend attending. Until next April!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess Brazil (based on the announcer and the cowboy/gaucho outfit)

Becky said...

This looks so fun. I think you chose well on Miriam's outfit. That picture is so cute. I agree that I think the mystery country is Brazil. Sure sounds like what the announcer says.

Liz Johnson said...

Yeah, Brazil?? But really?

That gun dance is way awesome. It's like baton twirlers with street cred.

Spencer said...

If it's the country after Brazil that's giving you trouble, I heard "The Sultanate of Oman."

Final answer.

Bridget said...

BRAZIL. Of course! Now that you say it, it seems so obvious! Thank you so much for solving the mystery.

Oman and Palestine were the other tricky ones, but at least their clothes gave more hints than Brazil's did.

Sarah Familia said...

This looks like so much fun! And Miriam is adorable.

Crys said...

Cool!!!

Kathy Haynie said...

I posted some photos from Anna's play on my blog:
http://kathyhaynie.blogspot.com/2011/04/sunday-reflections-at-salt-lake-airport.html

American Muslima Writer said...

Such a funny thought of NATIVE GARB, for Americans. SHould we go Pilgrim wear? What if we aren't christian?
I really liked the cowboy idea. Sums up Arizona perfectly.
Even could do it with Muslim clothing.... imagine beaded abaya and cowboy gear combvined.... yeehaw!

Hehehhe cute picture!

Nancy said...

USA, I think is what he says. It looks like a square-dancing partnership to me.

Nancy said...

I dunno. It could be Brazil but I just think that if they are doing "traditional-esque" clothing they would have at least gone to the trouble to find more traditionally authentic gaucho pants, that's all.

Bridget said...

Nancy, you're not the only one who has made a case for it being the USA. I just can't fit it into the words the announcer is saying.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails