Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I've got a secret

Or rather, Magdalena has a secret, and it is this: that although she has been potty trained for almost six months, up until a few days ago she still wore a diaper to bed at night. Shhhh!

We originally tried to night-train her along with the regular potty training, but after a few nights in a row changing wet sheets, we scrapped that plan. Our kids don't sleep well enough at night to allow for that kind of additional disturbance on any kind of a regular basis. So we put her in a diaper at night and called it good. Somehow, almost six months passed, and we had made no progress toward having her night-trained. Even worse, she was starting to have lots of little accidents during the day. And when you don't have a dryer and your washer runs a 3-hour cycle, sometimes that means the 2.5-year-old runs out of clean panties and has to wear her 5.5-year-old sister's panties. (Luckily, their bums are almost the same size. Phew!)



I wondered if the daytime accidents were related to her being able to pee at will during the night because of the diaper. I mean, it must have been confusing - sometimes Mom and Dad said she had to go pee-pee on the potty, but not ALL the time. So when the last pack of diapers ran out last week (this is what prompted us to potty train in the first place all those months ago, you may recall), I decided it was time to make the leap to big-girl panties even at night.

The first night, she slept all through the night and woke up bright and early having not wet the bed. I couldn't believe it, and of course I immediately congratulated myself on a job well done. Why had we waited so long to night-train Magdalena? It was so EASY!

The next night, BAM - an appointment with wet sheets at 2 o'clock in the morning. And the next night. Meanwhile, Jeremy's dealing with midterms, I'm dealing with a research paper and an exam, Miriam's got school pictures, ballet is starting up again - it's like the busiest week ever this semester and I'm sleepwalking through it in a state of constant irritability because in one brilliantly stupid move I decided to night-train Magdalena RIGHT NOW. I was thiiiiis close to deciding to put her back in diapers for bedtime and waiting until the summer to try again, even though I knew that would be very confusing for her.

The next night was really exciting because Magdalena woke up dry again. I thought maybe this was the turning point. Then I found out that Jeremy had been up during the night and had taken her potty, so it didn't really count.

Anyway, fast forward to now and she's doing better. She woke up last night, but it was not because she'd wet the bed - it was because she needed help getting to the potty. Victory! And the daytime accidents have stopped.

It is my goal in life to someday not be involved in the bowel and bladder habits of my children. Someday, I want to be able to plead absolute ignorance when it comes to who needs to go potty and who has skidmarks on her panties and who needs help with the bidet and who forgot to wipe. With night-training on its way to being accomplished, I've taken one more step toward reaching that goal. Amen.

10 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Yahoo! Gotta love sphincter muscles. :)

Eevi said...

Love this post! I have no desire to do potty training. For me, I can't wait until the time when I don't think "sweet, Eerika only woke up at 3 or 4 last night" or "oh man, I can't believe I was up three times". Because it would mean that I am well rested again. But such is the job of a mom, worry and think about things that you never thought you would fixate on.

Liz Johnson said...

AMAZING!!! Way to go you (and also Magdalena, but mostly you). That is so awesome. I have repeatedly told Nathan that he "gets" to use the potty when he's 3. And I equally fantasize about not being intimately involved with my children's poop. Someday...

Sherwood family said...

I agree with you; my personal fantasies involve only wiping one person's bum - my own. One day. In the far-distant future.

Kitty Crazy! said...

Potty training was my biggest fear as each child approached the age of 2. I was SOOO relieved when it was over with.I'm so glad Majd is doing so well.-Janice

Merkley Jiating said...

I look forward to the day when I don't have to change another diaper. Unfortunately, that day is far off. I like the age of my kids, I just don't like the smell of their diapers.

Kat Clark said...

Jack was the same way. He diapered it for at least 6 months after official day time potty training. It's a scary thing to do! I hated the first few nervous nights of uncertainty. I actually left the spare sheets out handy and ready to go just in case. We still wake him up sometimes before we go to bed around 11 pm if he drank alot before bed. It's funny how he is bascially still asleep while standing there peeing. :)

I'm just glad you checked that off your list. It really did feel like I hadn't been able to cross potty training off until he was out of the night diapers.

And that comment about not wanting to know the details of anyone's bathroom business was fu-uh-nny.

Amanda said...

Um, jealous! My now five-year-old still wets the bed, and I'm barely making progress during day time with my two year old. I may soon find myself with four kids in some kind of diaper or pull-up. Help!

Bridget said...

Well, I spoke/wrote too soon because last night she wet the bed TWICE, and the again during the day. I didn't even know it was possible to wet the bed twice in one night. Ugh.

Katie said...

Amen, Bridget, Amen. I feel like we are in the exact same boat with our 2.5 year olds! Alex was fully trained for 2 months and this week he's started having accidents...and right after he tells me he doesn't have to go! And we "attempted" the night training twice, but I also can't handle waking up in the night to change sheets. The plan, like you, is to train him at night when his diapers run out, so in about 30 diapers! :) Good luck!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails