Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Getting to YES

There's this book called Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In.

I haven't read it, but sometimes I wonder if Magdalena has. She is an expert at wearing down my defenses and making 'yes' look so tempting.

First, if she's planning on doing something naughty, she takes the trouble to come over and tell me, "Mama, don't see!"

If it's something that she can't hide (or hello, when I decide to check out what it is that she doesn't want me to see), she starts with "Don't say no, Mama," and then asks me for what she wants.

Of course I say no anyway. Then she says, "Mama, don't say no! Say 'ok'!" Because maybe it's all just a misunderstanding and I didn't hear her original request to not say no, right?

I still say no. Then she breaks out the big guns. "Mama, don't say no to your special Majd!" This is a variation on something we said once when a little boy at church was kicking her - "we don't kick our special Majd" (Majd is her nickname, by the way).

That almost makes me give in, if at all possible. If I still manage to hold out, Magdalena gives it one last shot: "Mama, be nice to me, I'm just a little girl!"

So if you ever notice me pausing for a good long while before deciding whether or not to grant permission for Magdalena to do something, now you know why. I need to be dang sure about that NO.

9 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

Hahahahahaha. I love it!

Christina LeSueur said...

I love her persistence! Does she ever throw tantrums when you say no like my child does? Or is she just the super negotiator that it sounds like she is?

Suzanne Bubnash said...

And put together her wily ways with her adorable irresistible expressions [see photo], and you'll lose every time!

Kitty Crazy! said...

That's hilarious! She reminds me of her dad at that age!-Janice

Susanne said...

So cute! I love that picture. She has such a vivacious personality and that picture seems to express it.

Now I'm curious what kind of naughty things she asks you to not say no to. :) My brother used to tell my mom to go into the other room to do laundry and then he'd proceed to climb the bookshelf to change the record player. (Of course my mom would watch to see why Daniel wanted clean laundry at age 3 and see him do this before he got too high.)

Uh, don't take this the wrong way and only knowing you and your friends from blogs, I think this child could be Liz's daughter. And I mean that in a very positive way based on what you've shared about Majd's personality being very different from the rest of you. Only now I see someone say Jeremy was like this as a child so maybe that's where it comes from. :)

Katie said...

She is SUCH a cutie. And so smart.

The Ensign's said...

Oh my heck. Call me crazy, but she totally reminds me of Kaelyn in that picture. Not to mention Kaelyn is just like this. Not that she's got that vocabulary down, but give her a year and she'll be telling me those same things.

Liz Johnson said...

Susanne - I take that as the highest compliment. I freaking love Majd's spirited nature (especially since I'm an observer instead of the parent, ha). :)

Susanne said...

Yes, I totally meant it that way. Even the picture looks like a mini-Liz, doesn't it?

I adore Majd's personality! This post was especially good! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails