Monday, May 02, 2011

OBL

Did anyone else find Seth Meyers' remarks at the White House Correspondents' Dinner to be hilarious? My favorite joke, believe it or not, was about Osama bin Laden. If you don't have time to watch the whole video, well, first of all, make time. Second of all, the relevant portion comes at 2:15 into the clip (but watch from the beginning to get the context).



Given the big setup with the birth certificate jokes being rendered unusable, I thought the OBL bit especially interesting in retrospect. President Obama gives a big laugh, but you have to wonder what he knew at the time.

The response here in the UAE seems to be along the lines of what governments around the world are expressing, though of course nobody is chanting "USA!" in the streets.

It will be interesting to hear the details of how it all went down, and if we're lucky, maybe Mark Bowden will write a book about it. If that seems like a callous remark to make at a time like this, well, I don't know what to think. On the one hand, I don't want to gloat at someone's death. On the other, dude was a bad, bad guy. You know what I mean?

7 comments:

Jill said...

Yeah, I feel weird about celebrating someone's death but I'm not sorry that it happened

Crys said...

I agree. That being said, there wasn't any dancing in the street here, seems like that was mainly in New York and honestly when you consider the huge hole in their city, the amount of people who lost friends and family, the 343 city firefighters and 72 New York cops who were engaged in rescue efforts and died when the towers went down, the trama of watching that real time outside your window (TV was bad enough) I don't blame them for one second. Obviously I hold my breathe to see where we go from here...and where the Taliban goes. Man I've hated that group since I was seventeen years old, you can thank my early exposure to Amnesty, like christian conservative men on steriods. Sorry for my lack of pc....

Liz Johnson said...

HA! That's so funny in retrospect. That little gleam in Obama's eye... like "hahahaha. just you WAIT!"

My facebook feed has been hilarious today. Many, many people celebrating, and then two or three people calling them to repentance for celebrating somebody's death. One even quoted scripture! It's so very entertaining.

I, too, am ambivalent on how to feel. But I lean towards washing my hands and saying "GOOD." Like now we can get to business of hunting the OTHER people who have hurt us. But... I wonder if he is going to be legitimately surprised when Jesus is like "Dude, I know you thought you were doing the right thing... but you completely missed the mark." Or if he'll just show up and give Satan a high-five. I have no idea.

Sarah Familia said...

I, for one, find the dancing in the streets as vulgar as the dancing in the streets in certain places after 9/11.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

I say good riddance to OBL. And people can celebrate all they want, even if it is in bad taste. Better that one wicked man die than thousands more innocents. Just as bad as the death toll, is that he hijacked Islam, twisting its tenets for his own evil purpose.

Bridget said...

Liz, this:

"But... I wonder if he is going to be legitimately surprised when Jesus is like "Dude, I know you thought you were doing the right thing... but you completely missed the mark." Or if he'll just show up and give Satan a high-five. I have no idea."

made me laugh, A LOT.

sarah said...

thank you. that was an awesome lunch break video! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails