Friday, June 10, 2011

June 10th, outsourced

I guess the internet was kind of lame this week, because I don't have that much for you. I hope I am able to make it up to you in quality.

I have to say, when I read this article about how Settlers of Catan is the new Monopoly, I repeatedly checked the article's date of publication to make sure I wasn't taking for recent an article that was really eight years old. Because Settlers was HUGE in Utah circa 2003, and has remained in the cultural lexicon of many, many people I know ever since then. I was shocked to find out Settlers hadn't hit its zenith and gone into decline - it's apparently still on the way up. What's next, breaking news about a little-known game called Ticket to Ride, or Apples to Apples??

NOT SO FAST, though. Maybe Settlers isn't the new Monopoly, after all.

Anyone who knew about this video and did not personally email it to me begging me to watch it is fired. Sometimes I grow weary of "cute baby" videos because I have my own kids to coo over, thanks, but this one is seriously SO CUTE.

In the creepy/cute category of babies is this video.

There is a volcano erupting in Chile right now and this series of pictures (especially the first one) makes me so glad I am far, far away from it. YIKES.

There was quite the uproar in the YA lit community re: this WSJ article, about the sometimes disturbing content of books meant for young adults. I remember being shocked as a kid when a book I read had an s-word in it. Things have, uh, changed since then. Like, a lot.

I don't know that I agree with it absolutely 100%, but I appreciated this author's response to the above article. Her experience reminds me of my own. I also liked how she pointed out that you should really do research before you walk into a bookstore to pick out a book for your kid. You can't just pick one and then avert your eyes, wincing, as you hope for the best, people.

I don't even care if this video was staged (and I don't think it was). It really made me laugh.

10 comments:

Becky said...

Well, you know I have to comment on the YA book thing! I don't agree with the 2nd article saying that some kids "need" to read some of these shockingly graphic things. I have 2 issues with these types of YA books. One is that some go just TOO far. Does anyone benefit from reading some of the horrific things out there? I say no. The second issue I have is redeeming value. There are some great classics of literature that do have somewhat shocking content (violence, etc.), but it's in the context of a very well-written novel with redeeming value. Some examples: Wuthering Heights, Crime and Punishment, The Grapes of Wrath, etc. Much of the YA fiction with shocking content is just plain trashy. Even as much as I personally like reading some of the YA fiction like the Twilight series (which I mostly object to for young kids because of the sexuality), I will be the first to admit it's really not quality literature. I guess my bottom line is the same as the first article--parents should be helping guide their children and YA's reading choices and be aware of what they are reading. Better still, read the same things and have conversations about it. Guide them away from things that don't have redeeming value.

Brittany Cornett said...

I liked the article about settlers of course. Not true what he says about newcomers could win against seasoned experts unless they study the instructions and strategize beforehand. I like when he talked about the Tipping Point, mostly because I read that and in turn it made me feel intelligent that I knew what he was talking about. I don't have many of those moments.

Bridget said...

Brittany, I think Jeremy won his first game of Settlers. It's definitely possible, but maybe not if you're playing against Janae or you :).

Becky, I think there is some objectionable content in YA that could validate and soothe (?) a certain kind of troubled teen. But the stuff described in that article frankly made me sick. I can't believe people write trash like that and then it then gets taken seriously. That's why parents absolutely need to be involved in their kids' reading choices. Too bad (as Roth noted) not all kids (and maybe especially the ones who need it) will have the benefit of such guidance.

Amanda said...

Remember when I won my first game of Cities and Knights? I think it was just because you guys were going easy on me, because then I didn't win again for months. (Side note- I've tried to get moms to come to my house to play with me, but they are all "busy". How do I get them to understand that this is important?)

Liz Johnson said...

Yeah, why are those Settlers articles coming out now?? That feels weirdly 5-8 years ago to me.

JosephJ said...

Board games are picking up because money's tight, and people are staying home more, and a one-time expense of 20-50 bucks will save in the long term. (Thus why this seems like old news to cheap college students and Mormons.)

On another note, if you want to know the latest and greatest, check out some of the winners or nominees of German Game of the Year.

There's a bunch of awesome ones like:
Carcassonne
Roll through the Ages
Agricola
Puerto Rico
7 Wonders
Alhambra
Dominion
...and the list goes on. For more information, there's always BoardGameGeek.com. :)

Jen said...

Joe likes board games.

Kathy Haynie said...

I showed the shower video to Mark, and we were both chuckling. I confess, I HAD seen the cute baby video about the mommy nose. My son has a "Funny Clean Videos" blog with a daily link, and he had that one a while back. Sorry I didn't send you the link. I'll send you more of them from now on.

Actually, Mark is wondering if the shower kid is still struggling to get his hair rinsed. Pretty cute.

As an English teacher with a classroom library, I found the YA book essays very thought-provoking. Thank you.

Kathy Haynie said...

Oops, I meant to give you the link to my son's funny videos blog. In case you're bored some time.

http://funnycleanvideos.wordpress.com/

Tia said...

I know a few people who are just getting into settlers, so it is still becoming popular though it is older. A great game we played while camping last weekend is Bang.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails