Friday, June 03, 2011

June 3rd, outsourced

How the freak is it June already?? Wow.

Anyway, no, really, this IS the most ridiculous sport EVER. I've got to start giving credit to my BIL Scott who sends a lot of these wacky video links to me. Though I don't know that "thank" is quite the word for this one in particular. I was at once bored out of my mind and yet, somehow, riveted.

If web browsers were celebrities (click to enlarge).

Here's an interesting discussion about the possible phenomenon of "accidental" sexual harassment of hotel staff by hotel guests. I can see how that kind of thing happens. I think my SIL Katie was walked in on multiple times in various stages of undress in her hotel room in Moscow because of some strange idiosyncrasy of the Russian Do Not Disturb sign having its red and green sides reversed (she is welcome to elaborate in the comments if she wishes).

Why do we love YA fiction? Let's count the ways. (Spoiler alert if you haven't read all the books in the Twilight, Harry Potter, and Hunger Games series, as well as Ender's Game.)

The United States of Science. I'm actually trying to decide which state's qualification I'm least impressed by. I think it might be Missouri. There had to be something better than that.

One of my favorite movies is Spellbound, a documentary about the 1999 National Spelling Bee. So I was happy to see this collection of the Top Ten Spelling Bee Freakouts, in honor of this year's bee.

I was fascinated by this collection of photographs of what families around the world eat in a week (and what they spend on it).

Ugh, seriously, THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM, EVER. Though I was glad to read the article and find out that I'm not the only one who is conflicted re: children with autumn birthdays.

Sometimes it's impossible to understand the grief of others. A beautiful piece written by my friend Liz.

Speaking of awesome friends, remember my friend who wrote a play and then it was actually produced? Well, a movie is in the works. Check it out.

11 comments:

Becky said...

A comment on the YA fiction--I wonder if I'm the only person concerned about younger kids reading some of these books? Maybe I'm just overprotective? But like your linked article points out, there is some seriously dark stuff in some of these that I'm surprised to see kids as young (and younger) than my 10-year-old reading.

Bridget said...

Becky, I agree. I don't think I would let my kids read them (on their own) until teenagerhood, at least. I am dying to start reading HP to Miriam but I keep thinking about how honestly scary it gets starting at about Book 4. I think I'll hold off quite a few more years. It would be cruel to let her read Books 1-3 and then withhold the rest for so long.

Liz Johnson said...

I really do love Chrome. Really, really love it.

And really Indiana?? Burial place of Johnny Appleseed? We couldn't do better than that??? SAD.

Jen said...

Dear Atlantic--

You probably have the highest-paid coal miners simply because you have the most coal miners.

Same goes for black-owned farms in Mississippi.

That being said, this makes me totally excited for my son to be a 4th-grader in Massachusetts.

Thx,
Moi

Lark said...

I was all about the spelling bee this year because the kid from Nevada that took 5th is in my ward...lives around the corner from me...and his mom is my second cousin. Yeah, we were way into this year! I love the spelling bee...those kids are sooo smart. (And by the way Dakota is a really sweet kid...in case you were wondering ;) And I guess I'm doing a little name dropping in your comment section...sorry.

Susanne said...

That Hungry Planet thing was interesting. Was I looking at a seal head in that Greenland picture?

Liz's article was touching. I read it yesterday actually.

US Science map -- Cleanest teeth is funny! But so are several of them this time of night.

Thanks for sharing!

Kathy Haynie said...

I loved the Hungry Planet link. It makes me think. And want to change. I was moved by Liz's post on the Good Grief blog. Thank you for all the Friday links. I have no idea how you manage to be so widely read and consistently post such interesting links for your readers.

Oh, and by the way...I showed my husband the freestyle canoe video--hahaha--we made it through a couple of minutes, then couldn't bear to watch any more. We may have to practice some of those moves when we go canoe camping in August. Hahahaha.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Re the science map. Texas has the most wind power--is that really a plus? Florida has the most sport fishing, triumphing over (surprise) Nebraska and other land-locked states. HOw is it possible for Minnesota to have the highest exercise rate? They have winter for 9 months, and mosquito heaven for the other 3. I'm proud we Oregonians have the most LEED buildings. . .

obravenewworld said...

Wow. Re:Children with autumn birthdays. My birthday is September 12th and I started kindergarten when I was 4. And I was top of my class, gifted and talented, honors, AP classes, etc etc all the way through my education. I'm not saying this to brag, I'm saying this because if I'd have started when I was 5, I would have been so much more bored then I already was that I would probably have been when of those kids who checked out and never did any homework even though they were smart. As it was I was super bored and I wish I could have started when I was 3. Then I would have been challenged by my education.

I know this sounds terribly arrogant, but I feel strongly about it. I think starting a smart kid in kindergarten at age 6 is a recipe for them to be bored out of their mind.

sarah-lucy said...

Another thought on the social issues: in child development they talk about early developing girls being at risk for inappropriate behavior, because the girls their age tend to exclude them, they get a lot more attention from boys a lot younger, etc. This is definitely something to think about in my family as most of the girls end up with a very womanly body around age 10. If they were held back a year, this would only be exasperated.

On the other hand early developing boys are at an advantage so maybe starting BOYS later is more advantageous then starting girls.

Crys said...

Australia...what is with all the MEAT! I'm going to keep that in mind when picking vacation destinations. The four year olds in kindergarten is such an interesting issue. I had a October birthday...always found it easy to have success in school, left high school after three years because I couldn't take it any more and went on to college. That being said the kindergarten of my past is not the kindergarten of the present. Almost all the kids in Ezra's class knew how to read on day one. They didn't teach how to write the letters because the expectation was that kids already knew how and instead spent writing time doing individual journal writing. School was all day versus the half day of my childhood, and things that I learned in school like colors, seasons, days of the week, months, were completely skipped instead being replaced by silent reading time, science, and individual math. For a mother with a young, immature, OCD boy it was a trying time. Meanwhile my neighbor's four year old girl is completely ready to go and can't. So I have no answers but I do think that kids that are forced to wait a year will find the kindergarten now much more stimulating then the kindergarten of our growing up days...and then if they really hate it they can just skip a grade or go to gifted school :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails